Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

*self-made*

'Shakespeare was a poet that wrote 154 sonnets.'
'England the only country that uses pounds.'

I would like to ask if I have to use 'which' in the above sentence or can I use 'that.'

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In the first one you should use "who".
The second one is not a sentence, it lacks the verb "be". Also, it's factually incorrect.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I accept that "that" might be possible, but I don't like it. It sounds wrong to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Although many people prefer who to that for people in defining relative clauses, that ​is possible in BrE, in my opinion.

You're softening in your, um, maturer years! I'm with Bhaisahab - it sounds wrong to me, though it's frequently heard.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To answer your question directly, you should most certainly NOT use "which" for these sentences.

I agree - I prefer "who" and would use it, but I'm not upset when others use "that."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Shakespeare was a poet. He wrote 154 sonnets.

It's a little unnnatural to try to connect these two facts into one sentence but if so, you could make a non-defining relative clause.

Shakespeare was a poet, who wrote 154 sonnets.

With non-defining clauses you must use who (not that). I really can't see how a defining relative clause is at all sensible. (But if it were, then that would be possible.) What is being defined?

So maybe why you might think the original sentence sounds strange with that is because your brain is hearing a non-defining clause. No?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am at a total loss as to why you see connecting a poet to the poems he wrote is unnatural.

We create sentences like this all the time.

X was a painter who was famous for his landscapes.
Y was a neighbor who hosted wonderful summer barbecues.
Z is a salesperson who consistently leads her district in sales volume.

ademoglu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So maybe why you might think the original sentence sounds strange with that is because your brain is hearing a non-defining clause. No?

This is exactly what I thought! So I asked the question of you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am at a total loss as to why you see connecting a poet to the poems he wrote is unnatural.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was just asking how "a poet who wrote 154 sonnets" is defining. Is this a type of poet? What is being identified/defined?

Look what happens when you use the 'defining' article the instead of a.

Shakespeare was a poet, who wrote 154 sonnets.

Shakespeare was the poet that wrote 154 sonnets.

Does the use of that in the second sentence still sound as awkward as before? Why?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Shakespeare was the poet that wrote 154 sonnets.

Does the use of that in the second sentence still sound as awkward as before? Why?

This could distinguish him from the poet that/who wrote 153 sonnets. Admittedly, it is not a very likely distinction, but I don't see any difference in awkwardness between who/that there. (British English speaker)

ademoglu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
This could distinguish him from the poet that/who wrote 153 sonnets. Admittedly, it is not a very likely distinction, but I don't see any difference in awkwardness between who/that there. (British English speaker)

So, ''Shakespeare was a poet, who wrote 154 sonnets'' and ''Shakespeare was a poet that/who wrote 154 sonnets'' are different in meaning, am I right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. When I said "unnatural" in post #8 I meant, as you put it, "not very likely". I can't sense any difference between who/that either because it's clear that we are hearing a defining clause when we use the defining article 'the poet'. But using an indefinite article, 'a poet', creates an indefinite (or non-defining) meaning.

(It's not affected by Br/AmE)

Status
Not open for further replies.