[Grammar] Is it okay to change "will have been ~ing" into this structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. I saw a article about future participles.
By the end of next week, Emma will have been seeing Luke for three months. From:https://www.usingenglish.com/articles/ways-expressing-future-in-english.html

Is it okay to replace the sentence put in bold letters with the sentence below(By...,...will keep...)? I understood the meaning, but I want to change the sentence into common usage.
By the end of next week, Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Definitely not.

The original sentence is already in what you call 'common usage'.

Rover

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you Rover. But, doesn't the sentence[By the end of next week, Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months.] contain the same meaning as the sentence put in bold letters?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you Rover. But, isn't the sentence[By the end of next week, Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months.] contains the same meaning as the sentence put in bold letters?

No, not at all. "Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months" means that she will continue to see him for another three months after the end of next week. Your original sentence means that by the end of next week, Emma and Luke will have already been a couple for three months".

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Then [By the end of next week, Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months.] will have to be [Emma will keep seeing Luke for three months even after the end of next week] if I want to avoid confusion because of jarring words in the sentence such as By, will keep seeing, although it may be a opposite meaning to the original sentence. Am I right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you want to avoid confusion, don't bother trying to change the original, perfectly good sentence.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What are you trying to do here? What is the point of taking one sentence, and then creating two equivalent sentences with a completely different meaning from that first one?

I got here Monday. Today is Tuesday. I plan to leave Saturday.

By Thursday, I will have been here three days.
By Thursday, I will only have two more days to stay.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I did it because of my fear of causing confusion.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But the first sentence had a specific meaning. It was not confusing. If that is what you need to express, how does it avoid confusion to create a sentence with an entirely new meaning??

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
I was half sure about the future perfect usage because I didn't have the concrete information about the structure like that before, and I had a memory that some person who was asked about 'will have ~ing / will have ~ed' by me told that the forms like that is antiquated in present English. Now I'm 99 percent sure the usage is common though. Well, I will be sure about the usage 100 percent soon after searching some more examples.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can be 100% certain now.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
On the one hand, it is absolutely true that the English tenses are a marvelously precise mechanism for denoting time, aspect, and state of action or completion, and they should be mastered.

On the other, it is equally true that uneducated but thoroughly native and thoroughly vigorous English butchers the verbal forms completely. I seen it, I done got it.

And in between is a vast range of imprecise but thoroughly native usage that no teacher dare recommend.

Omission of perfects is a hallmark of such usage.

I do not expect "likes" for the following, but it would be unfair not to say it.

By the end of next week, Emma and Luke will be together for three months.
By the end of next week, Emma will be seeing Luke for three months.

Both are a little ungrammatical, and sound entirely natural in casual speech.

More so than the future perfect (continuous).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
On the one hand, it is absolutely true that the English tenses are a marvelously precise mechanism for denoting time, aspect, and state of action or completion, and they should be mastered.

On the other, it is equally true that uneducated but thoroughly native and thoroughly vigorous English butchers the verbal forms completely. I seen it, I done got it.

And in between is a vast range of imprecise but thoroughly native usage that no teacher dare recommend.

Omission of perfects is a hallmark of such usage.

I do not expect "likes" for the following, but it would be unfair not to say it.

By the end of next week, Emma and Luke will be together for three months.
By the end of next week, Emma will be seeing Luke for three months.

Both are a little ungrammatical, and sound entirely natural in casual speech.

More so than the future perfect (continuous).
I agree that your examples will be heard from native speakers sometimes. They should never be used by students in a classroom context.
I don't agree with this statement: "More so than the future perfect (continuous)."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't agree with this statement: "More so than the future perfect (continuous)."
Neither do I.

And I, who wrote the original sentence, would not refer to that construction as a 'future perfect continuous'.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have no intention to beat a dead horse by indulging in further debate over this, but I'd like to point out that the verbal tense in "Emma will have been seeing Luke" is the future perfect continuous (or progressive) -- irrespective of whether or not you agree with what I've called natural casual English.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have no intention to beat a dead horse by indulging in further debate over this, but I'd like to point out that the verbal tense in "Emma will have been seeing Luke" is the future perfect continuous (or progressive) -- irrespective of whether or not you agree with what I've called natural casual English.
I don't think it's beating a dead horse. It might possibly be natural in parts of Canada. It wouldn't pass for good English in AusE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE we flog a dead horse.

Many grammarians today consider that there are no future tenses, simple, perfect or progressive. Will is simply one of a number of modal verbs.

You can call some (but certainly not all) verb phrases beginning with will 'future tense' forms if you wish. I don't, because I find that this is ultimately confusing to learners. There are five common ways in English to express futurity:

Ways of Expressing the Future in English

Status
Not open for further replies.