Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
A)One late afternoon,We heard the front gate of our home rattle.

B)One late afternoon,We heard the rattle sound from the gate of our home.

A or B which one is correct? please somebody help me.

Teacher my question is, We heard the front gate of our home rattle .Is this sentence is correct or wrong because we heard the rattle sound not the front gate of our home, Hence i believe " We heard the rattle sound from the gate of our home" Is't this the correct structure of this sentence, please explain to me.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Neither is correct. "One late afternoon" is not natural. There are other errors with your sentences. Note the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Put a space after a comma.
- The word after a comma should not start with a capital letter unless it is a proper noun or the word "I".
- When you start with A) B) etc, put a space after the closing bracket, before the first word of the sentence.

I have marked in red each part of your post which needs correction.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United Arab Emirates

Teacher my question is, We heard the front gate of our home rattle .Is this sentence is correct or wrong because we heard the rattle sound not the front gate of our home, Hence i believe " We heard the rattle sound from the gate of our home" Is't this the correct structure of this sentence, please explain to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You have ignored every single thing I said about the rules of written English. The word "We" is incorrect in your sentence because it follows a comma not a full stop. There is no reason to capitalise "we" unless it comes at the beginning of a sentence or is the first word of a sentence inside quotation marks".

You're right about the rest of it, but sentence 1 still isn't correct unless you amend the other errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.