i'm sure/it's sure + 'be going to' form (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

contida

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
i was in class this morning explaining the difference between 'be going to' and 'will'. i said the former would be used whenever there is evidence whereas the latter would be used with personal opinions.
now, there was this sentence:

I'm sure she ...___ like the present.

the answer given in the book was:

I'm sure she will like the present.

but i wonder whether it could be possible to say:

I'm sure she is going to like the present.

in another post in this forum i read:
it's not sure it's going to rain

so now i would like to ask you further information about the use of 'be going to' after the expression 'i'm sure' or 'it's sure'

thanx

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The superficial answer is, "Stop worrying". Once you put I am (not) sure/certain, I think/believe/suppose/etc in front of a statement, you change the whole dynamics. Deal with will/going to as one issue. Deal with any introductory words as a separate issue.

"Paris is the capital of France" is presented as a fact.

"I don't think (that) Paris is the capital of France" is the expression of a doubt about the presented fact.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello contida,

The sentence is OK. It means you are certain that something is going to happen in the future:

• I'm sure/certain that she is going to like the present because we bought her a book that she wanted.

We often use going to to make a prediction about the future. Our prediction is based on evidence. We are saying what seems sure to happen. Source

Status
Not open for further replies.