Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"She recalled reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed in a tarin."

Could I say "She recalled that she was reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed in a train."? Shouldn't I have put ''she had been" instead of"was raeding"?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's first confirm the spelling of stabbed.

There's very little practical difference between your three versions.

Rover

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
To me there is a small difference and your first sentence is probably better (with Rover’s kind correction.) I also changed “in a train” to “on a train”.

"She recalled reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed on a train."

This sentence is probably what you want. It tells us that she remembered reading an article.

"She recalled that she was reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed on a train."

This sentence focuses on the action of her reading the article at a particular time in the past. It might be a response if she was asked, “What were you doing last night.”

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
To me there is a small difference and your first sentence is probably better (with Rover’s kind correction.) I also changed “in a train” to “on a train”.

"She recalled reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed on a train."

This sentence is probably what you want. It tells us that she remembered reading an article.

"She recalled that she was reading an article about a woman who had been stabbed on a train."

This sentence focuses on the action of her reading the article at a particular time in the past. It might be a response if she was asked, “What were you doing last night.”

"She recalled that she was reading an article......" Should I put "had been" according to the backshifting rule?

If a meant inside of a railroad car, could I say " in a train"?

" She asked how long he has been working for this firm?" If he is still working there, I would not use the backshifting rule. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.