Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's always confusing to select either "while" or "when" when encountering "as". I learned that "as" can be "while" when two actions are happening at the same time, but sometimes even such cases are translated as "when". What is the standard to tell "while" and "when" for "as"? In this example, is the first "while" and the second "when"?

go2-nung-3
ex)Two-elementary-school basketball teams consisting of only girls are playing in South Dakota. During the game, one of the players on the DeSmet Bulldogs is fouled by a player from the opposition. Fouls are common in basketball games and are nothing to get excited about. But this time, the crowd goes wild as a young girl slowly walks onto the court. As the crowd cheers her name, 11-year-old Cylie Pastian stands alone and shoots the two free throws for her teammate.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People often select 'as' because it is closer to what they want to say than either 'when' or 'while'.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

To me, "as" used here is making it seem more like it's happening right now. I would also say that only "when" works in the first case, and either work for the second. Perhaps a teacher can explain better, of if there is a difference.

the crowd goes wild as a young girl slowly walks onto the court.
while - makes it sound like these events are unrelated, but the first is caused by the second.
when - sounds like one causes the other, so it sounds ok to me.

As the crowd cheers her name, 11-year-old Cylie Pastian stands alone and shoots the two free throws for her teammate.
while - sounds like they are happening at the same time, with no causation, so it sounds ok to me.
when - sounds like one happens just before she throws, or maybe gets her to throw, so it sounds ok to me.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry but this is kind of more confusing... I've been always at a loss which to choose. If I knew the fundamental difference between "when" and "while", my confusion would go away.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, there is some overlap, but, when it comes to time,

‘when’ means

1. At the time that: in the spring, when the snow melts.
  2. As soon as: I'll call you when I get there.
  3. Whenever: When the wind blows, all the doors rattle.
  4. During the time at which; while: when I was young, I was sick all the time.

and while means: As long as; during the time that: It was lovely while it lasted.

from Dictionary: Online definitions and pronunciations - Yahoo! Education

Status
Not open for further replies.