Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
what is the best option and why?

"Active in the drum and bass italian scene since 2008, the project was born as a collaboration between..."

or

"Active in the drum and bass italian scene from 2008, the project was born as a collaboration between..."

Thanks for help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
what is the best option and why?

"Active in the drum and bass italian scene since 2008, the project was born as a collaboration between..."

or

"Active in the drum and bass italian scene from 2008, the project was born as a collaboration between..."

Thanks for help!

Neither.

Active in the Italian drum and bass scene since 2008, the project was born of a collaboration between...

Note the capital "I" on Italian, the word order of "Italian drum and bass". We generally say that something is born "of" something else (unless we're talking about babies in which case they're born "to" their parents).

ozma-

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
but can i use "since" without a perfect tense (present/past)?
and would it be incorrect to use "from" in that context?why?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But can i use "since" without a perfect tense (present/past)?
And would it be incorrect to use "from" in that context? Why?

Please use correct capitalisation in your posts. Every sentence must start with a capital letter. We also put a space after full stops, commas, question marks etc.

Yes, you can use "since" in the way you have, that is why I used it in my version. "From" is not incorrect but "since" sounds more natural (to me).

It might depend on whether or not they are still active.

"Active from 2008 until 2010, the band..." = the band stopped being active in 2010.
"Active since 2008, the band ..." the band is still active. There is no necessity to say that it is "until now" as that's what "since" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.