I say to my friends: Yesterday I talked to these people on the streets and the reac

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I say to my friends:

Yesterday I talked to these people on the streets and the reaction I got wasn't good.

Does this make sense? Should I add from them after I got, or is that unnecessary?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, without "from them", it could be ambiguous. The reaction could have been from other people.

B

B45

So, it's better to add from them? But isn't it already clear who I'm talking to so the reaction would be from them?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In one context, it is very clear. But as I said, there could be another context.

B

B45

What do you mean by that? I don't really understand. Can you explain. Thank you.

The reaction was only from the people I spoke to randomly.

Would you include from them?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the only reaction you got was from those people, then "from them" is not not needed.

B

B45

I'm sorry but there's an error in the sentence. It's supposed to be:

Yesterday I talked to some people on the streets and the reaction I got was not good.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No problem. It should also probably be on the "street" unless the people were in different places.

B

B45

That wouldn't change your answer then. So, from them is basically not needed. correct?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What would have changed my answer is some context at the beginning. Please provide it in the future. That would decrease the waste of time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you talk to some people on the street, you might get a reaction from those people but you also might get a reaction from other people passing by who see you talking to those people. That is the ambiguity Mike was referring to.

I walked up to a woman in a crowded pub and punched her in the face. The reaction I got was amazing.

Who do you think gave the reaction I'm referring to in that situation? Do you think it's the reaction from the woman I punched or do you think it might be the reaction from the other people in the crowded pub? Do you agree that it's ambiguous?

Last edited:
B

B45

Yes, I agree it's ambiguous. Therefore, I think I should add from them to the sentence. Because the reaction I got was from the strangers I talked to. What do you think?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with you. In your original, I would use "from them".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Finally sorted! :-D

Status