Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Is it possible to say "I bumped into her" meaning that I litteraly chrashed into her, not met her. So here "bump into" is not used as a phrasal verb.

So NOT:

bump into [FONT=&quot] somebody [FONT=&quot] phrasal verb [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] to meet someone who you know, when you were not expecting to [FONT=&quot] SYN run into [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]I bumped into Jean in town.
[/FONT]

But:

bump 1 [FONT=&quot] S3 [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]bʌmp [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] verb [/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 [FONT=&quot][ intransitive always + adverb/preposition, transitive [FONT=&quot]] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] to hit or knock against something

[/FONT]
bump into

Technically, according to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English this would be incorrect, because you can only bump into things, not objects.

Thank you in advance.
[/FONT]

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure I understand your question. What is the difference between a "thing" and an "object"?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Sorry the question was wrong. If the definition is "to hit or knock against something". Can something refer to a person?

So, in other words: can is say "I bumped into her" meaning I litterally crashed into her (so not meeting her)?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure you can bump into someone physically.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Technically, according to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English this would be incorrect, because you can only bump into things, not objects.

They don't mean that this verb is only for use with objects- you can bump into people as well.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
They don't mean that this verb is only for use with objects- you can bump into people as well.

OK, thanks. I just consulted the Collins Cobuild Dictionary, and there they do specifically say that you can bump into someone:

If you bump into something or someone, you accidentally hit them while you are moving.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's just a spot of careless phrasing in the Longman dictionary. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.