Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I've seen "more easily" in an English grammar book and think that's quite right ! But what about "easilier", or "sadlier", ...
It seems that there is no short adverb with "ly" and so all adverbs of this kind (ends with "ly" and regard of derived adverbs from the corresponding adjectives only, such as "early" is not a derived adverb but ends with "ly" and has the comparative form as "earlier") always has the comparative form as "more" or the superlative form as "the most" before ?
Thank you so much !

Last edited:

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen "more easily" in an English grammar book and think that's quite right ! But what about "easilier", or "sadlier", ...
It seems that there is no short adverb with "ly" and so all adverbs of this kind (ends with "ly" and regard of derived adverbs from the corresponding adjectives only, such as "early" is not a derived adverb but ends with "ly" and has the comparative form as "earlier") always has the comparative form as "more" or the superlative form as "the most" before ?
Thank you so much !
Neither form of those words exist in English. Sorry!
easy->easier->easiest exists but as you know has a different function than easily

Not a teacher

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Neither form of those words exist in English. Sorry!
easy->easier->easiest exists but as you know has a different function than easily

Not a teacher

I'm sorry but I don't think so ! As I mentioned, I saw "more easily" in an English grammar book (Headway - Liz and John Soars), it should be correct.
What you have given are comparative and superlative adjective.
But what I mention here are comparative and superlative adverb.
How can you use only "easier" to say something like "I can speak English more easily than I could before" ? It may be "It's easier for me to speak English !" I don't think "easier" (as a comparative adjective) can be used to express in all cases with no need the corresponding comparative adverb "more easily" !
Thank you !

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sorry but I don't think so ! As I mentioned, I saw "more easily" in an English grammar book (Headway - Liz and John Soars), it should be correct.
What you have given are comparative and superlative adjective.
But what I mention here are comparative and superlative adverb.
How can you use only "easier" to say something like "I can speak English more easily than I could before" ? It may be "It's easier for me to speak English !" I don't think "easier" (as a comparative adjective) can be used to express in all cases with no need the corresponding comparative adverb "more easily" !
Thank you !

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

CrazYgeek,

(1) I may (repeat: may) have found what you are looking for.

(2) Mr. Michael Swan in his very popular Practical English Usage

says that in informal English (the language of ordinary people),

English speakers often use the comparative/superlative adjective for the

comparative/superlative adverb. Mr. Swan mentions:

easy

slow

loud

quick

(3) In other words, "book English" requires: Let me do the job.

I can do that job more easily than he (can).

But in the real world of real, ordinary speakers, we often hear:

Let me do the job. I can do that job easier than him.

(The books tell us that "easier" is only an adjective: Is English

easier than French?)

(4) "Book English": In my family, Mona eats the most slowly of all.

In "real English": Mona eats the slowest of all.

(The books tell us that "the slowest" is only an adjective: What is the

slowest train that I can take to Hanoi?)

(5) And I think most people (especially in an emergency) would

yell: Come quicker!!! instead of the "correct":

Come more quickly!!!

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you for your information!
But I have checked my dictionary and I felt so amazed when all 4 words "easy", "slow", "loud" , "quick" are either adjective or adverb.
"easy" has two corresponding adverbs which are "easy" and "easily" (but I don't know they are whether different in meaning or not). The same to others.
So may it be "easier" is either a comparative adjective or a comparative adverb ?
If so, we have two comparative adverbs here "easier" (derives from the adverb "easy") and "more easily" (derives from the adverb "easily").
The same to others: "slower" and "more slowly", "louder" and "more loudly", "quicker" and "more quickly" are all comparative adverbs.
Therefore, all sentences you've given (one of them is "come quicker") is absolutely grammatically correct. (they should be kind of formal English not informal English)
That's all I think!
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.