All sentence, but "and shallowly or not, I am — ... wins, going away" in particular

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
All sentence, but "and shallowly or not, I am — ... wins, going away" in particular

Hello all forum members!

If, for instance, you are looking to control your weight — and shallowly or not, I am — running wins, going away.

I find the above sentence rather strange. Its meaning is even stranger.

I will try to decipher it, however.

The general idea is that "If, for example, you are intending to control your weight, running wins by a lot of points (easily, no efforts made).

I think I am beginning to understand the whole of the sentence.

Let me start again.

"If, for example, you are intending to control your weight - whether you treat it shallowly (not seriously) or not (I, for one, am serious about it) - walking doesn't compare to running (walking doesn't stand a chance of defeating running).

Thank you.

What do you think?

Is It Better to Walk or Run? - NYTimes.com

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Re: All sentence, but "and shallowly or not, I am — ... wins, going away" in particul

hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

I think you are right there with your interpretation. If we leave out the - and shallowly or nor, I'm - the meaning is clear up to the "going away" so let's leave it out as well.

If, for instance, you are looking to control your weight running wins.

I'm unfamiliar with "going away" in that context but it could be a simple mistake.
The only expression I think that would have anything to do with "go" and "a/way" and fit in for the intended meaning :
a way to go; by far; 'go a long way' and 'far and away'

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: All sentence, but "and shallowly or not, I am — ... wins, going away" in particul

No, I'm pretty sure that "and shallowly or not, I am" means, "Whether shallowly or not, I am looking to control my weight", i.e. I might be doing it shallowly.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK

hi,
I'm sorry for hijacking the post :D

What is "and shallowly or not, I am" ? Is it interjection, digression, interruption ?
Is the coma after wins required ?

cheers

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It is set off with dashes, indicating that it is an interruption in the main thought of the sentence.

I like the comma after wins, as it separates the thoughts. But others might do without it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

hi,
I'm sorry for hijacking the post :D

What is "and shallowly or not, I am" ? Is it interjection, digression, interruption ?
Is the coma after wins required ?

cheers
It's a parenthetical clause set off by dashes. I don't know if a comma is needed, since I'm not familiar with the saying "going away" or how it's used.

Status
Not open for further replies.