Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
First, I'm really sorry if this is a retarded question :-D
So when I pronounce this word "liked", do I have to voice the "k" sound then "t" (-ed), or just "t"?
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
First, I'm really sorry if this is a retarded question :-D
So when I pronounce this word "liked", do I have to voice the "k" sound then "t" (-ed), or just "t"?
Thanks.

Yes, you have to sound the "k". As you say, the "ed" sounds as "t".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know you did not mean to cause offense, but "retarded question" is offensive. People with mental disabilities deserve better than being called "retards" or "retarded" and deserve better than people referring to what they perceive as silly or dumb as "retarded."

Please drop this word from your English vocabulary.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I see, I was so careless. I translated that term word-to-word from my language as it's not that big of a deal in my country.Thanks for your heads-up, I'll be more careful next time :D

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
You don't hear the word 'liked' in isolation. Sometimes, you don't hear t.

liked + it = like dit (thanks to flapping)
liked + that = like that ( t + th > th)

These are not citation forms as spoken by preachers, Presidents, etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
liked + it = like dit (thanks to flapping)
Wouldn't you say that the final syllable was /tɪt/ rather than /dɪt/? I can't hear any voicing when I, or others, say this.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't think there's flapping in "liked it" in any accent I know. It sounds wrong to me with a flap, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that flapping is always or usually intervocalic in English accents.

Tanksenior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
United States
I know you did not mean to cause offense, but "retarded question" is offensive. People with mental disabilities deserve better than being called "retards" or "retarded" and deserve better than people referring to what they perceive as silly or dumb as "retarded."

Please drop this word from your English vocabulary.

Should we also drop the word "stupid" and what about "idiot"? Because these terms are also sometimes used to refer to people with mental disabilities.

In general the term "retarded" is rejected as a correct term to refer to mentally challenged people. There could be discussion about the nature of this term nowadays, because in most cases it is not used to refer to the mentally ill, but indeed to something or someone that is considered as extremely stupid or idiotic(without the object/person in question actually being mentally handicapped).

Perhaps we might need to consider that the term has evolved to having a different meaning than it used to. Especially when it comes to the general public, and we might need to stop relating it to the mentally ill. Because that way we keep acknowledging that "retard" is synonymous with "person that is mentally ill" while that was an undesirable way of referring to them in the first place.

While one would do good in dropping the term from their vocabulary we can not expect every english speaker(especially on the Internet) to be civilised and literate enough for that.

This is all horribly off-topic but I feel like it had to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.