Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello,

I am learning the TH sound and have a bit of a problem when it comes to the tongue position. I saw a lot of tutorials and videos explaining that in order to make a proper TH sound one must put his tongue between his teeth. But when doing a bit more research I also found some teachers saying that it is better to make the TH sound with your tongue behind your front teeth. I have tried both method and although they both work, I was just wondering which one of these is better to use or the correct one? Which one does a native speaker use and which one is best to learn to be able to speak a bit more quickly?

Every input would be appreciated...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Fot most of us, the tongue is touching the back and lowerd edge of the upper front teeth. Some teachers suggest putting to tongue between the teeth, because this is easier for the teacher to demonstrate clearly, and for the learner to copy. The sounds in both positions are virtually identical.

prono

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thanks for that. One more quick question. When I listen to native speakers talk I can always hear the TH sound in words like think, thought, thorn and so on. But I can never hear it in words like this, that and especially the (sounds like dis, dat, de). I kind of feel that the TH sound in those words is quite a bit softer. And people tend to pronounce these words quite fast. Is the tongue position the same in this case or is it different?

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The tongue position is the same, but the sound in the, this and that is voiced but in think, thought and thorn is unvoiced. The unvoiced sound is made with more force.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.