Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello

Last night me and a friend were talking he said he had a nose bleed and would be back soon. When he returned I asked if the nose bleed was over he said "I shot it in the face with a 9mm, metaphorically speaking"

I pointed out to him that I did not believe this was a metaphor as it had no context or logical conclusion, e.g. his hart was stone makes sense because he could be cold and unyielding, where as a nose bleed dose not have a face and shooting it would probably increase blood flow rather then stop it.

Any way this debate went on for a very tedious hour, I am hoping that some one maybe able to confirm if it is or isn't a metaphor and preferably explain why?

Thank you very much for your time and sorry for posting something so pointless

- Drew

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Any way this debate went on for a very tedious hour, I am hoping that some one maybe able to confirm if it is or isn't a metaphor and preferably explain why?
I am not pretty sure I understood you very well, but... Try to imagine the nose bleeding is an entity, and this entity is alive. If you want to stop it, you have to kill it. Right? To kill any live entity (not such a good idea, I think) someone might shoot it in the face. Well. I think your friend is right about metaphorical sense.

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
Not, however, a particularly good metaphor. )

Status
Not open for further replies.