Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hi.
The definition of success may vary from people to people. Some people think success is variety of tangible and intangible stuff that is many people think success is about money and some people think success is happy.
Doesn't the underlined part of the sentence seem redundant ?
The field of education exist the same thing.
Isn't in necessary ?

Ref:Successful Student Characteristics | Essay Company Reviews

There are more confusing usages in this essay.But I am not sure, I am little confused about that.
Thank you.
Can anyone suggest a good website for essays where I can get all the essays that I need?

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hello Sumon,
Thank you for posting the link to the blog where you found this paragraph.
Unfortunately, the author is a shining example of how some students can make it to the university level without the slightest notion of good grammar, spelling or writing. It is a harsh reality that many are pushed through the educational system and arrive at undergraduate levels with the reading and writing skills of an elementary school student.
Remember, this is a blog on the internet and you should never expect good writing from random articles uploaded to personal blogs. This is not to say that all blogs are poorly written. Many are very well written and researched. Just don't expect them all to be good just because they are on the net.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
some students can make it to the university level without the slightest notion of good grammar, spelling or writing.
And beyond. :-(

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While I'll be the first to agree that there are a lot of truly horrible writers, I'm not sure this is written by someone who speaks English as a first language.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
While I'll be the first to agree that there are a lot of truly horrible writers, I'm not sure this is written by someone who speaks English as a first language.

As I reread the blog, I am inclined to agree with you, Barb.

Even so, my main points to Sumon were not to expect good writing from random articles uploaded to personal blogs, and even though something is on the Internet does not make it correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I *SO* agree with you!

On the one hand, I cringe at bad writing that is based on ignorance, laziness, and/or disrespect to the reader.

On the other hand, the fact that even smart people can be bad writers is why I have a job!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In the intrusive pop-up welcome note I see this:
...This blog is exclusively meant for students who love to find interesting stuffs ...

I'd be very surprised if this blogger (I hesitate to say 'writer') was a native speaker of English.

b

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
And I *SO* agree with you!

On the one hand, I cringe at bad writing that is based on ignorance, laziness, and/or disrespect to the reader.

On the other hand, the fact that even smart people can be bad writers is why I have a job!

Well said.
Non-native English speakers who function in a non-English speaking environment and who are brave enough to attempt to write in English, should be given a wide berth. But, non-native speakers who study and live in an English speaking country deserve less leeway. When I write in French, I never hit "enter" until I have had a native French speaker edit my work. It would be lazy not to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.