Hi, guys! A non-English native speakerwho need syour help with my essay. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaka&Cooper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Australia
Question (from IELTS): Some people think the high sales of products reflect the power of advertising instead of the consumers' demand. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (I guess accuracy needs improving and I need tips on how to formulate supporting materials to this argument since I spent exactly 10 mins doing this. Thank you all~~)

Nowadays, a whole lot of commercials pop up during prime time viewing. Some people hold the view that it is the power of advertising instead of the consumers' demand that contributes to the high sales of products. From where I stand, a combination of both is reflected in the high sales.

Admittedly, this argument seems plausible. Many manufacturers hire celebrities to speak for their products. People, especially young adults who admire their icons vie with each others to make purchases of the corresponding commodities, regardless of their utility and prices. These manufacturers gain growing popularity on the market, as they maximize use of the celebrity effect. As a consequence, the more successful their commercial compaigns are, the higher sales of products they will generate.

This argument, however, falls to the ground in some other cases. When people do not have extra money at their disposal, they might as well practise prudence, thus engendering low sales. On the other hand, some people place utility in the first place and brush aside the over-powering effects of advertising. In other words, they are highly immune to certain sugar-coated advertising and will be wise consumers.

In conclusion, the power of advertising is not a sole contributor to the high sales of products, as consumers are free to make their decisions on whether to buy those products. To be exact, the consumers' demand also plays a big part. It is worth noting that a impact the advertising creates; it is liable to exaggerate products' functionality as to increase sales, which leaves a lot to revalent authorities to perfect.

Last edited:

qscotty

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, when a business incurs advertising cost, their sole motive is to gain as much exposure they want for their product/service(s). Considering the scenario you've mentioned about, I think it is not the public with the demand of their product. It could be a new product which probably felt enticing to many of the consumers out there. I've quite well read through various case studies like the one you've mentioned and their only answer is the cost of advertising that a business incurs, they get the consumers regardless of the product being their type or not.

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, when a business incurs advertising cost, their sole motive is to gain as much exposure they want for their product/service(s). Considering the scenario you've mentioned about, I think it is not the public with the demand of their product. It could be a new product which probably felt enticing to many of the consumers out there. I've quite well read through various case studies like the one you've mentioned and their only answer is the cost of advertising that a business incurs, they get the consumers regardless of the product being their type or not.

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR

qscotty, please don't post links. As a new member, any post with a link will go into moderation meaning any useful information you have given won't be seen by the user asking the question. I have removed the link so that I could validate your post and allow it to be seen.

Also, please ensure your member profile is correct. It shows your current location as the UK but your IP address shows that you are in Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.