Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I used the sentence above in one of my compositions, and my English teacher said that I should have written 'It is not anything to panic for' because of the negation rule, but I don't think she's right. I was talking about a proper situation, not something general.
Can you please clarify this?

I also was wondering,
when you're talking about cooking, for instance, would you say 'it's not something I'm good at' or 'it's not anything I'm good at'?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd prefer 'It's not something to panic about'. The negation 'rule' is not a rule at all. You are right; 'something' is possible.

In your cooking example, I think 'something' is the more likely choice.

hombre viejo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*NOT A TEACHER" American English. Your question is asking whether "something" or "anything" is the better word to use. "Something" is a pronoun referring to a certain, although unspecified thing. "Anything" is a pronoun referring to anything, - not a certain thing, but something, no matter what. Because you are referring to "it" as the suject - I agree with you - not your teacher. "I can't see anything and "I (do) see something" are examples of correct usage."

Regarding your second question - I would choose "something" regardless of the negation. The reference is to something certain - cooking or 'It"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nobody has mentioned 'nothing' yet. I use 'It's nothing to worry about' much more than 'It's not something to worry about'. I'd use 'something' only if there was much more to the sentence: 'It's not something that you should be worrying about at this stage.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.