Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The two girls, Jim's wife, Mel and the coworker Andrea are coming out of a self-defense class to Jim in a big boxing hall talking about what to bring to their office and when Jim noticed them, he said "stone cold".
Is it "it's really cold outside in terms of weather" or "the coffee or muffin she mentioned is very cold"? I can't get it!

-g.w
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- So, i'll see you at the store?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Andrea- [FONT=&#44404]Mm-hmm.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Oh, bring coffee?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- [/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Of course. Muffin?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Andrea-[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] I think i've earned it. Pumpkin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel-[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Ooh! Done![/FONT]
Jim- [FONT=&#44404]Girls, stone cold[/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The two girls, Jim's wife, Mel and the coworker Andrea are coming out of a self-defense class to Jim in a big boxing hall talking about what to bring to their office and when Jim noticed them, he said "stone cold".
Is it "it's really cold outside in terms of weather" or "the coffee or muffin she mentioned is very cold"? I can't get it!

-g.w
[FONT=&#44404]Mel- So, i'll see you at the store?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Andrea- [FONT=&#44404]Mm-hmm.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Oh, bring coffee?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Andrea-[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] I think i've earned it. Pumpkin.[/FONT]
Jim- [FONT=&#44404]Girls, stone cold[/FONT]
It has to be the muffins or the coffee. We don't use "stone cold" for weather - only for physical objects.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It has to be the muffins or the coffee. We don't use "stone cold" for weather - only for physical objects.

Maybe Jim overheard what the two girls were talking about as he was close to them. Then, did he say the muffin is stone-cold, an almost freezed one? But it doesn't seem to make some meaning. It feels meaningless, why did he say that?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What comes next? It's possible that "stone cold" is some sort of compliment towards the ladies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What comes next? It's possible that "stone cold" is some sort of compliment towards the ladies.

Now it's clear Andrea said "That's right" to Jim meaning "sone cold" is for the muffin she mentioned.

Mel- So, i'll see you at the store?
[FONT=&#44404]Jim - Girls, stone cold.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Andrea - Ho ho! That's right.
129867 - Hey.

[/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Now it's clear Andrea said "That's right" to Jim meaning "sone cold" is for the muffin she mentioned.

Mel- So, i'll see you at the store?
[FONT=&#44404]Jim - Girls, stone cold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Andrea - Ho ho! That's right.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]129867 - Hey.[/FONT]
A lot of the meaning is obviously in the intonation and the visual cues.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE "stone cold" is a slang term used to describe something extreme or ultimate. For example, an extremely attractive female might be described by an appreciative male as a "stone cold fox." When you are absolutely doing nothing at all, just relaxing and not having a care or worry in the world, you are "stone cold chilling." I think that in the OP's dialog Jim is being sarcastic and poking fun at Andrea and Mel for thinking of eating a simple pumpkin muffin as a big "treat" or something that must be earned. He's metaphorically rolling his eyes at them.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In AmE "stone cold" is a slang term used to describe something extreme or ultimate. For example, an extremely attractive female might be described by an appreciative male as a "stone cold fox." When you are absolutely doing nothing at all, just relaxing and not having a care or worry in the world, you are "stone cold chilling." I think that in the OP's dialog Jim is being sarcastic and poking fun at Andrea and Mel for thinking of eating a simple pumpkin muffin as a big "treat" or something that must be earned. He's metaphorically rolling his eyes at them.

So is he saying like "You are only having small simple snack of muffin? That's kind of ridiculous"? He's not rolling his eyes to try to lure them as one of the girls is his wife. Does "earn" mean getting some privilege?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So is he saying like "You are only having small simple snack of muffin? That's kind of ridiculous"? He's not rolling his eyes to try to lure them as one of the girls is his wife. Does "earn" mean getting some privilege?

Yes. He's rolling his eyes in exasperation because the women are so concerned about calories that they consider a small muffin to be a special privilege that they've earned only because they've participated in a bout of strenuous exercise (their self-defense class).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes. He's rolling his eyes in exasperation because the women are so concerned about calories that they consider a small muffin to be a special privilege that they've earned only because they've participated in a bout of strenuous exercise (their self-defense class).

I'm sorry it's still not clear, but by "clear" do they mean like earn money's earn or acquire something? "earn" is still not clear, sorry!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sorry it's still not clear, but by "clear" do they mean like earn money's earn or acquire something? "earn" is still not clear, sorry!

In this context, "earn" is similar to "deserve".

I've worked very hard all day. I think I've earnt a quiet evening watching TV and eating cookies!

My friend helped me decorate my house and in return I lent him my car for a week. I think he earnt it!

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Earn" in this case is similar to "deserve." It means a reward given for a certain effort or task. Many women feel very guilty about eating sweets or desserts because such foods are full of calories and will possibly make them gain weight. The two women in this dialog feel that they are entitled to reward themselves with a muffin because they participated in some strenuous physical exercise. In other words, "I spent two hours exercising and practicing self-defense. I'm sweating and I'm exhausted. I think I deserve a sweet treat as a reward for my hard work. And even though a muffin is considered 'junk food', I won't suffer any ill effects because I burned off so many calories while exercising."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

I'm really sorry to annoy you, but as a non-native speaker, it's kind of hard to understand the meaning of "stone-cold" completely. I know what you explained for the meaning. It's kind of sarcasm for extreme things, but was it a pity or criticism as your two posts have the nuance of the two?

Maybe I got it wrong, but my impression was that the first post seemed to be saying "Why are you considering such a small muffin as a calorie-filler by making an exercise an excuse for it?" and the second "What a pity! As you normally restrain to eat junk food, now you got a chance, you want to eat it!"
Sorry for too much detail!!:oops::oops::oops:

Now I watched the video again, but the situation was that the two girls were coming out of the class open and connected to the boxing hall, and Jim was waiting right at the entrance(just an open boundary) distributing some brochures to others(he was at a distance of 2-3 meters from them) and when the two girls approached him, he made a hi-five with a fist with Andrea and gave a hug to Mel with his facial expression having no sarcasm. He seemed to be complimenting them for learning an awesome self-defense training. As you said, it might be a compliment for their learning "you are extremely awesome learners, good job!!!" But I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm really sorry to annoy you, but as a non-native speaker, it's kind of hard to understand the meaning of "stone-cold" completely.
"Stone cold" simply means as cold as a stone. It has nothing necessarily to do with the rest of the dialogue. It's used for emphasis. "This muffin is stone cold" = "This muffin is cold (and it shouldn't be)."

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Stone cold" simply means as cold as a stone. It has nothing necessarily to do with the rest of the dialogue. It's used for emphasis. "This muffin is stone cold" = "This muffin is cold (and it shouldn't be)."

Sorry to contradict, but "stone cold" in this dialog is not describing the muffin. It is a sarcastic remark made by a man describing the women's decision to indulge in a calorie-laden muffin. "Stone cold" behavior is behavior that is ultimate or extreme.

A similar literal example would be a skateboarder taking a huge risk and successfully jumping over the Grand Canyon. "That was some stone cold skating, dude!" his friends would enthuse.

A similar sarcastic example would be a very frustrated person on the verge of having a major temper tantrum. His friend encourages him to just release his emotions and express his anger. The upset person pauses and then stamps his foot utters "Shoot!" The friend, who was expecting a barrage of curse words and ranting and raving, looks at Upset Person very seriously and comments, "Wow, stone cold."

In other words, he is sarcastically remarking on the restraint exhibited by a person who thinks they are indulging in rebellious behavior.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry to contradict, but "stone cold" in this dialog is not describing the muffin. It is a sarcastic remark made by a man describing the women's decision to indulge in a calorie-laden muffin. "Stone cold" behavior is behavior that is ultimate or extreme.
Oh, OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm assuming that's where "Stone Cold Steve Austin" got his nickname? He's a WWE wrestler (I'm embarrassed that I know that, by the way). I imagine it has nothing to do with his body temperature!

Status
Not open for further replies.