Take two

Status
Not open for further replies.

guilhermebrittes

Member Type
Student or Learner
I need to know what mean the expression "take two" used in today's (May 13) NYT editorial "Mr. Obama and Mr. Karzai, Take Two." Regards.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you are filming a movie, each time you try to shoot a scene, it's a "take."

If you have to try it again, it's "take 2."

Sometimes you'll hear someone say "Wow, we got it in one take." (They got the final version the first time they tried.) Sometimes you might hear something like "It took 25 takes to get that scene right." (They had to run through it 25 times to get the final version.)

It has expanded beyond the movie/TV business to mean anything you have to try again to get right.

I don't know what the editorial was about, but it seems to mean these two people will try again to make something work between them.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forums!

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's a reference to film. Even an amateur filmmaker might tell his actors, "OK, take two!" to signify that they're going to try it one more time. Following "takes" would be "take three", "take four", etc.

Ripley7700

Member Type
Academic
I agree with the above responses that this is a movie reference, related to film shooting. If you want to really emphasize/exaggerate how many times you have tried something, you might say "take one hundred" or "take two hundred and fifty." However, to make things more complicated, in the USA, "take five" can also mean to take a break or rest (in other words, "to take five minutes off from working"). But this expression should use the number "five" rather than "two." Use: "Let's take five and go to Starbuck's." I'm not very young, so this expression might be for older generations. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.