Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In some sections of the PSAT/SAT, I find it difficult to choose between sentences and say which one is empirically "correct", if someone could give me insight on how to know which correct sentence is better, it would be much appreciated.

For example, one of the questions gives these sentences (the underlined part indicates the part that was changed):
"Our football team has not won a state championship in ten years, but it does have many talented freshmen this year."
"Our football team has not won a state championship in ten years, although many talented freshmen are on it this year."
"Our football team has not won a state championship in ten years, although many talented freshman have been added to it this year."​
It asks you to choose the most "clear and precise" answer.

In another question, these sentences are given:
"Many adult readers of the Harry Potter series have celebrated its plots with their proving that the stories themselves are full of depth and intrigue for readers of all ages."

" ... by proving the stories are full of depth and intrigue for readers of all ages."

" ... through their having proved that the stories themselves are full of depth and intrigue for readers of all ages."

Again, all of the sentences appear correct, unless I'm missing something inconspicuous.

Sorry if this wasn't the right place for the thread. Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The first example seems to be saying the same thing in three ways.
I'm at more of a loss with the second. Maybe readers could celebrate Harry Potter plots after having proven that the stories are full of depth and intrigue. I'm not sure whether they could be celibrating the plots simultaneously with their analyzing the plots for depth and intrigue for readers of all ages.

alext180

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first example seems to be saying the same thing in three ways.
I'm at more of a loss with the second. Maybe readers could celebrate Harry Potter plots after having proven that the stories are full of depth and intrigue. I'm not sure whether they could be celibrating the plots simultaneously with their analyzing the plots for depth and intrigue for readers of all ages.
That's precisely my notion as well, both questions were on the practice SAT, both asking us to "choose the most precise and clear" out of the three, which seems quite difficult. There are even more questions like this on the test.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are even more questions like this on the test.
I know. All the teachers here know that. We can only sympathize. It's not a conspiracy ... er ... is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.