English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which one sounds natural?

A. The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona which will give the city the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.
B. The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona to give the city the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one sounds natural?

A. The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona which will give the city the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.
B. The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona to give the city the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.

They are the same for me, but there should be a comma after "Arizona" in the first.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You mean both of them are correct? ( From a grammar viewpoint)

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What about this one:

The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona which will give it the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What about this one:

The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona which will give it the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.
It still needs the comma.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My doubt rose about the accuracy of three options out of 4 options after seeing this bad test. In my humble opinion, it has three correct answers. Thanks for confirming.

The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona, ........ the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.
1. to give the city
2. and this will give it
3. which will give the city
which will give it

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My doubt rose about the accuracy of three options out of 4 options after seeing this bad test. In my humble opinion, it has three correct answers. Thanks for confirming.

The city plans to dismantle and move a fourteenth-century English church to Arizona, ........ the oldest church in the western Hemisphere.
1. to give the city
2. and this will give it
3. which will give the city
which will give it

If the [unnamed] city is dismantling and moving the church, then the [unnamed] city will no longer have the church. Arizona is a state, not a city so the word "city" should not appear in the answer. On that basis, both 1 and 3 are incorrect.

That leaves 2 and 4, in which "it" refers to "Arizona". For me, both of them are possible. I prefer 4 but 2 is possible without the comma.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"1 is correct. The purpose of this act of moving the church was 'to' give the city the oldest ..." (Unfortunately this is the claim of Answer key. However, I agree with you emsr2d2)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"1 is correct. The purpose of this act of moving the church was 'to' give the city the oldest ..." (Unfortunately this is the claim of Answer key. However, I agree with you emsr2d2)

It is possible that the "city" is in Arizona and that city is the one moving the church. However, it is impossible to known that for sure from the question.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is possible that the "city" is in Arizona and that city is the one moving the church.

That was how I understood it from the start, Mike. Post 8 took me by surprise – that had never occurred to me. In this case 'it' could mean 'the city' or 'Arizona', so the sentence is doubly ambiguous.

Status
Not open for further replies.