[General] What doe's the word Dawn Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomahead

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have been looking up the word "Dawn" in the Dictionary.com site and have been investigating this word for over a week now. My question is Can the word Dawn besides meaning daybreak or sunrise. Can it also mean beginning of evening. Like the Dawn of the evening approaches. Dawn everywhere I look up means beginning. The reason I asked is because. I'm trying to prove to a friend that Dawn can mean more than just Sunrise but in fact it can mean sunset as well. I get this Idea from 1600 century English from a verse in the

King James Bible Matt. Chapter 28 Verse 1. In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn (toward the first day of the week), came Mary Magdaline and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The context of the verse seems that dawn is referring to the beginning of the night.

Because part one of the verse (end of the Sabbath) would mean Saturday afternoon approaching Evening. The 3rd part of the verse says. (Toward the first day of the week) Also referring to coming into the Evening of 6PM Saturday night starting the new week of Sunday or first day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have been looking up the word "Dawn" in the Dictionary.com site and have been investigating this word for over a week now. My question is Can the word Dawn besides meaning daybreak or sunrise. Can it also mean beginning of evening. Like the Dawn of the evening approaches. Dawn everywhere I look up means beginning. The reason I asked is because. I'm trying to prove to a friend that Dawn can mean more than just Sunrise but in fact it can mean sunset as well. I get this Idea from 1600 century English from a verse in the

King James Bible Matt. Chapter 28 Verse 1. In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn (toward the first day of the week), came Mary Magdaline and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The context of the verse seems that dawn is referring to the beginning of the night.

Because part one of the verse (end of the Sabbath) would mean Saturday afternoon approaching Evening. The 3rd part of the verse says. (Toward the first day of the week) Also referring to coming into the Evening of 6PM Saturday night starting the new week of Sunday or first day.

Dawn does mean "beginning", that's true. However, unless you specify that you are talking about the beginning of something else (dawn of a new age, dawn of an era, dawn of time) then dawn would be taken to mean sunrise.

In the passage you quoted, I'm not sure why you think it refers to the beginning of the night. I don't know a lot about religion though I'm aware that in some religions the Sabbath is on Saturday and ends at sunset (or perhaps, as you said, 6pm). Also, that the first day of the week can be seen as Sunday, though a lot of people would say that Monday is the first day of the week.

To me, "In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn" would be somewhat confusing. "At the end of the sabbath (or any other day) would suggest towards midnight. But "as it began to dawn" would mean sunrise. So I would say there's a gap where there are a few hours missing!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, and by the way, it's "does", not "doe's".

Status
Not open for further replies.