English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Howdy
If you were me, how would you explain "ration book" to adult learners in lower elementary levels.
Here is the context " Families in Cuba have a ration books". Whenever I want to explain, unfortunately I can easily feel that the teacher talk increases dramatically. Here in our country petrol is rationed, but even using this example doesn't work well.
Thanks a bunch in advance for the help

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're pieces of paper from the gov't that give you permission to buy things. Each person is allowed a certain amount of rice, beans, etc. per month. There isn't enough production in the economy to allow everyone to buy what they want.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot SoothingDave. I know the meaning itself, I have difficulty making it understandable for elementary students.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're adults, aren't they? Surely they can understand a gov't instituting a system to allot scarce resources "fairly."

During World War II, the US rationed certain items needed for the war effort.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
They're adults, aren't they? Surely they can understand a gov't instituting a system to allot scarce resources "fairly."

During World War II, the US rationed certain items needed for the war effort.

Yep! but not that much knowledgeable, so it needs me to explain and explain and explain...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yep! but not that much knowledgeable, so it needs me to explain and explain and explain...

You say that in your country petrol is rationed, the same principle applies to other commodities. People are allowed to buy a certain quantity of each commodity per month/week. Their ration books consist of pages which show the amount of each commodity that they are allowed to buy.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks all for the help.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.