Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Some people argued about writing the last working date in a resignation letter using "effective from". If the employee's last working date is 10/12/2013, which of the following dates is correct?

I am sorry to inform you that I have decided to resign from the company with effective from 10/12/2013 or 11/12/2013.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people argued about writing the last working date in a resignation letter using "effective from". If the employee's last working date is 10/12/2013, which of the following dates is correct?

I am sorry to inform you that I have decided to resign from the company with effective from 10/12/2013 or 11/12/2013.

Thanks.

"With effective from" is incorrect regardless of the date. We say either "with effect from" or "effective from". In this case, I would be inclined to be very clear and say "My last day of employment will be 10 December 2013". The fact of your resignation is actually effective from the date you give the letter to your employer.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"With effective from" is incorrect regardless of the date. We say either "with effect from" or "effective from". In this case, I would be inclined to be very clear and say "My last day of employment will be 10 December 2013". The fact of your resignation is actually effective from the date you give the letter to your employer.

Thanks ems.

'This is to inform you that I will be leaving my position as Executive Secretary with ABC Company effective 28 August, 2009. I will be relocating to Canada in the near future."

I am writing you to officially tender my resignation from(company name) effective 29 May,2009.

I would like to inform you that I am resigning from my position as Public Relations Officer. My last day with the company will be 31 July, 2009.

If a writer uses effective (not effective from) 10 December, 2013, does it mean that her/his last day of employment will be 10 December 2013?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.