Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi all,

I've seem the word fortnight already, and I know it means a time period of 2 weeks, but is it an usual word in American English? Or is it more used in British English?

Can I use the term if I´m writing a formal document or is it better to avoid it? For exemple, can I say something like "The debates will be held periodically (e.g., fortnight)" or this will sound weird?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi all,

I've seem the word fortnight already, and I know it means a time period of 2 weeks, but is it an usual word in American English? Or is it more used in British English?

Can I use the term if I´m writing a formal document or is it better to avoid it? For exemple, can I say something like "The debates will be held periodically (e.g., fortnight)" or this will sound weird?
"A fortnight" is very commonly used, certainly in BrE, and I think in most other varieties as well. "The debates will be held fortnightly" is a correct sentence.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
It would not be used in American English. I had to look up the meaning, though I had heard it in the past.

(Not a teacher)

This suprised me a lot. I thought 'fortnight' was as common as 'two weeks' in all Englishes.

"The debates will be held periodically (e.g., fortnight)"
It would need to be 'fortnightly', not fortnight. I would say you could use fortnight in any style of writing/speaking. It's a very common word here (British English). More common than 'two weeks'.

EDIT: I notice that you speak Portuguese. My fiancée, who is a native Brazilian, says that it is used the same way as 'quinzena', and is used as frequently. She also said that 'quinzena' is not formal, just like fortnight.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

***NOT A TEACHER***I cannot prove it, of course, but I would bet that most Americans who did not attend college would have no idea of this word. (In fact, maybe some college students don't, either.) If you used this word, people would look at you in a very strange manner. Of course, it is a wonderful word (fourteen nights = two weeks), but it is not American English -- for the ordinary speaker. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.