[Grammar] When you bid someone farewell or bid farewell to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"Bidden" is the past participle of bid. So in present perfect tense it should either be.

I have bidden her farewell.
I have bidden farewell to her.

But I have read sentences on the web like these.

A proud mother has bid her daughter farewell as she prepares to row 5,000 miles across the Pacific. [London Evening Standard]

He had bid his wife and children — Heather, 11, and Tommy, 8 — goodbye at the hotel. [Billings Gazette]

Now, Shouldn't it be "A proud mother has bidden her daughter farewell and blah blah blah."

And shouldn't it be "He had bidden his wife and children — Heather, 11, and Tommy, 8 — goodbye at the hotel.

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what other members will say, but after testing out how both bidden and bid sound in my head, I think I would prefer to use bid instead of bidden.

It's not a very high-frequency verb so it's hard to know. Maybe there's some interference going on from the other meaning of bid, as in to bid at an auction.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm with wordreference.com: either bid or bidden is possible. I might say I'd bidden her farewell, but only I'd bid ten dollars sounds natural to me.

This seems to be one of those verbs with a different past participle in transitive and intransitive uses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.