Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could someone please clarify the usage of "though" in this sentence and what does the sentence mean.

"It has risen to the challenge with Japan's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis, though, fast-tracking visas for fleeing company executives and other professionals. "

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could someone please clarify the usage of "though" in this sentence and what does the sentence mean.

"It has risen to the challenge with Japan's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis, though, fast-tracking visas for fleeing company executives and other professionals. "

This is either an incomplete sentence or you misplaced some commas.

Also, I have to type this word once again -- Context? We have no way of knowing what "it" is or whether that's relevant.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would need to see the sentence that came before it. It sounds as though in the prior sentence, "it" was disparaged as being inefficient or perhaps poorly trained, but despite that, "it" has performed well in the crisis.

kencongcong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank for your advice. Actually, "it" refers to the Hong Kong government. The sentence came before it is "Our government is not famed for such an approach(decisive thinking, flexibility) with its policymaking, despite Hong Kong's position as an international financial centre."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank for your advice. Actually, "it" refers to the Hong Kong government. The sentence came before it is "Our government is not famed for such an approach(decisive thinking, flexibility) with its policymaking, despite Hong Kong's position as an international financial centre."
The 'though' in your first sentence means approximately the same as 'however' at the beginning would.

I am poor, but I am happy.
Although I am poor, I am happy.
I am poor; however, I am happy.
I am poor; I am happy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.