Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you say "golden child", is it "precious child" or "nice and kind child"?

[FONT=&#44404]sister - Natalie was always the golden child, [FONT=&#44404]the one who could do no wrong.

[/FONT][/FONT]​

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your example pretty much defines it. A golden child is someone, usually young, but the term can be used to early adulthood, who seems to be successful in everything they do and whom everyone seems to like. The opposite of "the black sheep of the family".

*** Not a teacher ***

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Your example pretty much defines it. A golden child is someone, usually young, but the term can be used to early adulthood, who seems to be successful in everything they do and whom everyone seems to like. The opposite of "the black sheep of the family".

*** Not a teacher ***
Your definition is similar to "precious", young or adult, but what I found on internet is "good and nice", so I don't know which to focus on. Are they both?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your definition is similar to "precious", young or adult, but what I found on internet is "good and nice", so I don't know which to focus on. Are they both?

All children are "precious", they are valuable and should be well looked after. However, the phrase "golden child", as has already been stated, is defined perfectly well in your original sentence. It means they can do no wrong (at least in the eyes of others, probably especially their parents!)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed, someone who is a golden child is PERCEIVED as unable to do any wrong. It's not uncommon to describe someone who was, in fact, a lying, bullying sneak who was also good at appearing good and kind when adults were looking as "the golden child who could do no wrong" -- because that's what his or her parents (or other adults) thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.