English expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interventizio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi

I have some questions about english expressions.

1) can I say "high employment"? I thought about saying "high employment rate" instead, but this would be comparing two terms (the employed population/overall population). Instead, I want to say that a sector (ex. finance) guarantees high employment in an economic environment. So the sentence would be: "the finance sector guarantees high employment".
2) Which one is correct? "the commodity that symbolizes the New Economy the most is the computer" or "the commodity that most symbolizes the New Economy is the computer".
3) "this car hosts a maximum of 5 persons". Is it correct? If not, what would be the right verb?
4) can a change have an extent? Ex.: "the extent of this change has still to be calculated".
5) Can I say "the body is one and only thing with the mind" instead of simply "the same as".
6) "the most important of the three". Is that correct?
7) Can I say that "modern mobile phones gather functions the were once scattered among many supports"?. Can I use scatter in this context?
8) "my word was made count in the meeting". Meaning: the majority considered my idea good and voted it. Is that grammatically correct?
9) can I say "newer and newer technologies" or should I say instead "always newer technologies"?
10) "closely" interwined or "strictly" interwined or neither?
11) can I say "on the side of" consumers, meaning "from the perspective of the consumer"? And how about "consumptionwise"?
12) can I say "prompted to" in place of "stimulated to"? Here the sentence: "companies were prompted by the government to apply more social responsability to their actions".
13) a) Can I have attention "toward" something? b) Can I say that "a problem rose to the attention of the members of the committee"?
14) Shall I say "this knowledge is considered already acquired" or "...as already acquired"?

Thank you very much for your efforts. :-o

Last edited:

Interventizio

Member Type
Student or Learner
11) I think "consumer wise" reflects the meaning I had in mind. The opposite would be "production wise". "Consumptionwise" sounded awful to me too.
As for 8) I was thinking about "Make each word count". Transposed to a company-board situation, that would mean "they let my idea count (by voting it). I don't know if you agree.

Thank you so much!:-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If they approved your idea, then they voted for it, and if it was approved, then I would simply say that, but if you want to get the idea of count in, then how about My words must have counted because they voted for/approved my idea.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
11) I think "consumer wise" reflects the meaning I had in mind. The opposite would be "production wise". "Consumptionwise" sounded awful to me too.

'consumer-wise' (note hyphen) is informal and not something I'd expect to read. It depends on the context but all these might be possible (all usually followed by a comma):

As regards consumers
With regard to consumers
From a consumer's perspective
As for consumers
In relation to consumers
As far as consumers are concerned

or if contrasting you could also say, depending on the context, eg:

Consumers, on the other hand, ...
By contrast, consumers ...
Consumers, however, ...
...., whereas consumers ...
Consumers though ...