Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
please, might you help me to find proper words to wish a nice sail, to a friend of mine who's going for a long voyage by boat ?
thanks in advance
Piero

Uncle M

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could say "Have a nice trip." Or "Have a nice journey."

But in England, we often use the French expression "bon voyage" which seems perfectly fitting here.

Uncle M (not a teacher)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: [Beat me to it.]

please, might you help me to find proper words to wish a nice sail, to a friend of mine who's going for a long voyage by boat ?
thanks in advance
Piero
A strangely appropriate wish would be 'Bon voyage' [French, but widely used by English-speakers]. The stress on the last word is unEnglish - not /'vɔ:jɪʤ/ but /vwa:j:'a:ʒ/ (that's not an accurate transcription of the French, but it's close enough if you restrict yourself to English phonemes).

The word voyage has - in French, as far as I know - no necessary implication of 'trip on water (it's derived from voie, in English a carriage-way, ultimately from Latin via). But in English, a 'voyage' is usually on water and/or taking place over a considerable time, which is why I said 'strangely appropriate'.

The fact that native English speakers aren't always aware of the derivation is the story of Sam Goldwyn greeting people arriving by ship with the words 'Bon voyage' - a so-called 'Goldwynism'.

b

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If the person is actuually going on a sailing trip (i.e, where the boat is driven by the action of the wind on the sails), you might wish them 'fair winds'.

Status
Not open for further replies.