Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
South Africa
The rules of placing adverbs in a sentence are adverbs are normally placed after the object of a transitive verb, and immediately after intransitive verb. But in some adverbs just doesn’t sound right to follow this rules, for example:
With Comment/Attitude adverb such as actually, perhaps
"I think we should do this actually " instead of "I actually think we should do this"
"You should speak to him perhaps" instead of "Perhaps, you should speak to him"

Or the even more strange example, when Limiting adverbs have been used such as "only",
like in the case "I eat meat only" instead of "I only eat meat", the fist one is supose to be the grammatically correct but it just doesn't sounds right.

Are these examples, exceptions, or am I supposed to follow the rules always. I actually have to teach this so I need to be as accurate as possible.
Please advice!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The rules of placing adverbs in a sentence are adverbs are normally placed after the object of a transitive verb, and immediately after intransitive verb. But in some adverbs just doesn’t sound right to follow this rules, for example:
With Comment/Attitude adverb such as actually, perhaps
"I think we should do this actually " instead of "I actually think we should do this"
"You should speak to him perhaps" instead of "Perhaps, you should speak to him"

Or the even more strange example, when Limiting adverbs have been used such as "only",
like in the case "I eat meat only" instead of "I only eat meat", the fist one is supose to be the grammatically correct but it just doesn't sounds right.

Are these examples, exceptions, or am I supposed to follow the rules always. I actually have to teach this so I need to be as accurate as possible.
Please advice!

"I think we should do this actually " This is correct. instead of "I actually think we should do this" This is incorrect. "Actually, I think we should do this" This would be correct.
"You should speak to him perhaps" This is correct. instead of "Perhaps you should speak to him" This is correct without the comma.

Or the even more strange example, when Limiting adverbs have been used such as "only",like in the case "I eat meat only" instead of "I only eat meat". "I only eat meat is commonly used. "I eat only meat" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.