Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Could you check it please and correct what needs to be corrected.

When I compared Trotsky to Hitler I did not mean that they were equal in terms of the death toll, or suffering and destruction that they brought about. To make such comparisons is rather futile and pointless anyway. What I meant is that this two had a very similar mindset and personality. They were bold, ruthless, cynical and shared similar contempt for human life, and that expressed itself in their rhetoric and action. They were also great visionaries, very passionate and charismatic figures. In my opinion the similarity is striking. They both played in the same league of totalitarian ideologues and tyrants. If Hitler is indeed so akin to Trotsky and embedded in our culture as an epitome of ultimate evil and a horrific, sinister villain, then what is the matter with Hitchens making his relentless exhortations in favour of the latter, as if he tried to vindicate him. One may get an impression that he would make a saint of Trotsky if he could. But the figures of Trotsky and the like deserve utmost condemnation rather then vindication. I find it absolutely preposterous that Hitchens decided to defend such a lost cause in the name of youthful ideals that he clung to so tenaciously to an old age.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What are you going to do with this piece of writing once it's ready?

leszkoss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member