Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Benjamin Rush, the “father of American psychiatry,” described the lightning-quick calculating ability of Thomas Fuller, who understood little math more complex than counting.
(Scientific American Mind;Volume 14, Number 1;Islands of Genius)

Can I say here "...who understood little about math more complex than counting."?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Benjamin Rush, the “father of American psychiatry,” described the lightning-quick calculating ability of Thomas Fuller, who understood little math more complex than counting.

Can I say here "...who understood little about math more complex than counting."?

Thanks.

Yes, you can.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks.
You could, but the original is more common. In English, we "understand something" far more often than we "understand about something."
Mostly it just sounds wrong:
"Do you understand [about] what you're reading?"
"Do you understand [about] Italian?"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But the second example is a bit dubious ;-) 'Understand' has a special meaning in the case of languages. 'I understand Italian' means I understand what is said or written'. And 'I understand about Italian' is scarcely intelligible; perhaps it means 'I know about Italian' (which, as you know, does not mean the same as 'I know Italian').

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up: But the second example is a bit dubious ;-) 'Understand' has a special meaning in the case of languages. 'I understand Italian' means I understand what is said or written'. And 'I understand about Italian' is scarcely intelligible; perhaps it means 'I know about Italian' (which, as you know, does not mean the same as 'I know Italian').

b
That's partly what I meant. Since "understand" has more than one meaning, you can't always change "understanding" to "understanding about". I don't think "understand about math" sounds much better than "understand about Italian".

Status
Not open for further replies.