Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

Rihanna, the singer, says:

"And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. It’s a whole new audience to show what it’s like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

What is the meaning of the highlighted sentence? I can't get the stucture very well.

Thanks a lot.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? No idea... Do you have some more context? Have they been performing for the same audience again and again? (Even then, it wouldn't make much sense though, unless Rhianna was a hardened professional who'd be on tour before, and someone had changed the audience so that her backing band can get the feel of 'being on tour with [her]'. But then she probably wouldn't be that excited...)

b

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

Rihanna, the singer, says:

"And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. It’s a whole new audience to show what it’s like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

Does this help?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

Does this help?

The preposition "on" has no sense here. It's confusing me... I don't know.:roll:

I reaaly appreciate your effort. IF any suggestion came to your mind, just post it.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The preposition "on" has no sense here. It's confusing me... I don't know.:roll:

Ah-ha! The phrase "on tour" is idiomatic - we say that singers go "on tour" to mean that they take their show on a tour of the country or world. For example:

- Rihanna was on tour for 7 months in 2010.
- When will the Rolling Stones go on tour again?
- I hate going on tour! It's so exhausting!

Does it make more sense now? Let me know!:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

on tour = touring = travelling around the country with your show.

Now, let's look at Rihanna's words: "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. It’s a whole new audience to show what it’s like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

Stage one: Accept that singers, actors and other people of limited intelligence (public relations people, sports personalities, politicians, spokesmen for the military, Republican presidents, etc) constantly mangle the language.

Stage two: Accept that mayita1usa may be on the right track: It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

Stage three: Make mayita1usa's version a little more transparent: We are excited because we have never before played in front of such a large audience. It is a new type of audience, a type to whom we can show just what it is like to be part of the experience of a travelling show in which I am involved.

Stage four: Relax.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
on tour = touring = travelling around the country with your show.

Now, let's look at Rihanna's words: "And we are really excited because we have never done a show to this capacity ever. It’s a whole new audience to show what it’s like on tour with me and I am excited about that."

Stage one: Accept that singers, actors and other people of limited intelligence (public relations people, sports personalities, politicians, spokesmen for the military, Republican presidents, etc) constantly mangle the language.

Stage two: Accept that mayita1usa may be on the right track: It sounds like she is trying to say that the audience for this show is going to be the biggest audience ever, and so she's excited that there are so many new people who will see her perform. She is going to show the new audience what one of her tours (live performances) is like.

Stage three: Make mayita1usa's version a little more transparent: We are excited because we have never before played in front of such a large audience. It is a new type of audience, a type to whom we can show just what it is like to be part of the experience of a travelling show in which I am involved.

Stage four: Relax.

First: you are so sweet. :)
Second: THANKS A LOT for that very thorough answer. YOu rephrased it very clear really. Thanks again.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.