Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It seems to me that the clause "that the late Richard Feynman would have rejected the appeal to authority" is the subject.
Not absolutely sure whether I am correct.

--------------------------------

Tulane Mathematical Physics Professor Frank J. Tipler notes that the late Richard Feynman would have rejected the appeal to authority so frequently invoked to shut down debate on alleged Anthropogenic Climate Change. A consensus of climate scientists, if it actually did exist, proves absolutely nothing.

Source

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The appeal to authority to shut down debate" is frequently invoked by unspecified people.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"The appeal to authority to shut down debate" is frequently invoked by unspecified people.

What does authority refer to? It seems to have two meanings to me:
(1) it refers to government.
(2) It refers to academically authoritative figures such as Feynman himself.
(1) or (2)?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The authority is the consensus of climate change scientists.
Ironically, Professor Tipler is also appealing to authority. (Feynman would have rejected it, so it can't be true.) Tipler is appealing to authority to reject an appeal to authority.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The authority is the consensus of climate change scientists.
Ironically, Professor Tipler is also appealing to authority. (Feynman would have rejected it, so it can't be true.) Tipler is appealing to authority to reject an appeal to authority.

I've got it clearer.
But it is a bit weird in this case that I failed to get it crystal clear. Does "Feynman rejected the appeal" refer to"Feynman thought that it was not necessary to get/have the consensus of climate change scientists"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the writer's opinion, Feynman (when he was alive) would have rejected the concept/idea/action of appealing to authority to debate climate change.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the writer's opinion, Feynman (when he was alive) would have rejected the concept/idea/action of appealing to authority to debate climate change.

My understanding got improved.
But without appealing to authority (the consensus of climate change scientists), Feynman emphasized that an individual could think on such an issue by the means of real spirit of science?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Good Taste:

I am a poor reader, but I do not think that anyone has answered your question about the subject of "invoked."

I think that I have the answer.

1. My wonderful teachers told me that I should simplify a sentence as much as possible in order to analyze it.

2. With your permission, I shall parse:

"Mr. Tipler notes that Mr. Feynman rejects the appeal (that is) invoked to shut down debate."

a. Do you agree with me that the subject of "(is) invoked" is "that"?

b. Do you agree that "that" refers to "appeal"? (Thus, "that" is called a relative pronoun because it is a pronoun and it relates to the word "appeal.")

c. As you know, "that Mr. Feynman rejects the appeal that is invoked to shut down debate" is a noun clause and the object of the verb "notes."

d. If you want to take the analysis one step further, "to shut down debate" seems to me to be an infinitive phrase that modifies (belongs to) "is invoked."

e. I have deleted (removed) "to authority," for I believe that the word "appeal" is the key noun. So I deleted "to authority" in order to simplify the analysis. As you can see, "to authority" is a prepositional phrase that modifies "appeal." Question: What kind of appeal? Answer: To authority.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks.
Your analysis has led me to a clearer understanding.
Would anyone like to explain if the appealing to the consensus (of climate change of scientists) is rejected, what way would you use to solve the problem (of climate change) by the opinion of Feynman?

Status
Not open for further replies.