Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "over" mean "exceeding" or "per" like in a fraction? I think it means "5/60 mph decrease", but the translation is weird like "every 5 miles in the speed of over 60mph".

mo2-42
ex)The way you drive can make a big difference in the amount of fuel you use....Avoid high speeds: Every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph can decrease the miles per gallon your car will get by 7 to 8 percent...

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
***NOT A TEACHER***
Hi,
I think that "over" here mean more than a particular number, amount, or level.
For example:
With a gallon of gasoline you can drive 100 miles with normal speed, now if you drive 70 mph then you can only drive 100 - 10/5 x 7% x 100 = 86 miles.

markteacher

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "over" mean "exceeding" or "per" like in a fraction? I think it means "5/60 mph decrease", but the translation is weird like "every 5 miles in the speed of over 60mph".mo2-42ex)The way you drive can make a big difference in the amount of fuel you use....Avoid high speeds: Every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph can decrease the miles per gallon your car will get by 7 to 8 percent...
I will try explain this as simply as I can. Miles per gallon (mpg) is how many miles you can drive on 1 gallon of gas. Miles per hour is how many miles you would travel at that speed over one hour. Let's pretend your mpg is 30 at 60 mph. If you drive 5 mph over 60 (65 mph) your mpg will decrease by 7 to 8 percent (now your mpg is 30*.93, or about 28 mpg). If you drive another 5 mph over 65 (70 mph), mpg will reduce another 7 to 8 percent, to about 26 mpg), and so on. Hope this helps. - Mark

Last edited:

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does this "over" mean "exceeding" or "per" like in a fraction? I think it means "5/60 mph decrease", but the translation is weird like "every 5 miles in the speed of over 60mph".

mo2-42
ex)The way you drive can make a big difference in the amount of fuel you use....Avoid high speeds: Every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph can decrease the miles per gallon your car will get by 7 to 8 percent...

It just means that if you drive that 5mph faster(over) (65mph), you'll use more gas than you would if you kept to 60mph.

No need to bring maths into it.

Not a teacher...Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.