Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hello All,

This forum has been so useful for me to improve my english.. Please edit my story below. I find very hard at certain place to put my words so if you feel to change the whole sentence, please do that so that I can understand how to put the story in words.

-----------------

Children Psychsology
My daughter who is just three years old recently started her preschool. She is an outspoken. I didn’t face any problem in starting her pre-school. Though she had a little problem of English language as I never spoke English with her at home, she was doing great at school, playing with other children, participating in every activity enthusiastically, responding to teachers. She was up to what I had imagined about her. Suddenly after completing a few months, she started crying while dropping her off to the school. I felt it normal as I was expecting it in the beginning but she didn’t cry at all that time. But she started creating a big drama every day. I found extremely difficult to dress her up for the school. Somehow I managed her dressing part by telling her a lie that we are not going to school rather going to chucky cheeses, pizza hut, donkey do nuts etc. Soon she realized that I was lying to her and all my lies started failing. I was very upset. I started to investigate if she had any problem in the school which she could be unable to communicate to me. I also started peeping in her room soon after dropping her off. I found her as happy as nothing happened to her a minute ago. After coming from school I started asking, how was her school. She always replied that it was very. yummy”. When I further asked then why she creates seen while dropping her if she enjoys the school so much. She replied to me, “I cry because I want to cry”. It was not making any sense to me. Infect when I asked the same thing every day, she changed her statement. She started telling me that she did not enjoy the school at all. She also told me that she hate school. How could I believe her as I didn’t read any such thing on her face while peeping in her room at different time? She had started behaving the same way at other places as well. She refused to take music lesson without me holding her in my lap. She stopped doing gymnastic without me with her in the class. I thought that it could be just the stress and she wanting to stay home or else might be she has realized that she has to be without mama everywhere. I discussed with my husband if we could stop everything for her and she can have a break. He was not convinced with my view. I spoke to her teacher, they were not convinced too. I was agreed to them as I could see how much she was enjoying every place she was going. I remember recently she was crying for her dance class as it was the break for the new session.
I planned to experiment my new strategy. I sat with her and asked her if she want to stop school, music, gym etc. She said yes. I made fake phone calls in front of her to school, to gym and the music class. She was all okay and started singing, “I will not go to school, how much is the fun at home….ye ye... I didn’t stop here, when I next meet her school teacher I told her in front of her that it was her last day of school. She came back from school shouting at me for what I had canceled her admission in the school. I told her that it was not just the school but everywhere. She again shouted at me that I could not do this to her. She was very confident and angry. I was so happy inside. It was my turn to negotiate now. I asked her okay tell me what will you do for me so that I should call every place to enroll you again. She replied, “Mama I will not cry while going to school, I will not make any trouble dressing up……” I was all set and wanted to see if she sticks to her words. It was my experience that children always fake make promises but never follows. Next day she was running out of my Car well ahead of me. She has stopped every tantrum for past one week……a big lesson for me to underestimate the children’s psychology.

-----------------------------

Thanks in advance
gauri

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Children's Psychology

My daughter who is just three years old recently started her pre-school. She is an outspoken child. I didn’t face any problem in starting her pre-school. Though she had a little problem [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] with English language as I never spoke English with her at home, she was doing great at school, playing with other children, participating in every activity enthusiastically(,) and responding to teachers. She was up to what I had imagined about her. Suddenly after [STRIKE]completing[/STRIKE] spending a few months, she started crying while [STRIKE]dropping[/STRIKE] I dropped her off [STRIKE]to the[/STRIKE] at school. I felt it was normal as I was expecting it in the beginning but she didn’t cry at all that time. But she started creating a big drama everyday. I found it extremely difficult to dress her up for [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]school. Somehow I managed her dressing part by telling her a lie that we [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were not going to school, rather going to Chucky Cheeses, Pizza Hut, Donkey (Dunkin?) Donuts etc. Soon she realized that I was lying to her and all my lies started [STRIKE]failing[/STRIKE] to fail. I was very upset. I started to investigate if she had any problem in [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]school which she [STRIKE]could be [/STRIKE] was unable to communicate to me. I also started [STRIKE]peeping in[/STRIKE] to peep into her room soon after dropping her off. I found her [STRIKE]as [/STRIKE] to be happy as nothing happened to her a minute ago. After coming from school, I started asking[STRIKE], how was her school[/STRIKE] how her school was. She always replied that it was very. yummy”. When I further asked [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] why she [STRIKE]creates seen[/STRIKE] created a scene while [STRIKE]dropping her[/STRIKE] I dropped her if she [STRIKE]enjoys[/STRIKE] enjoyed the school so much. She replied to me, “I cry because I want to cry”. It was not making any sense to me. [STRIKE]Infect [/STRIKE] In fact, when I asked the same thing every day, she changed her statement. She started telling me that she did not enjoy [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] school at all. She also told me that she hated school. How could I believe her as I didn’t read any such thing on her face while peeping into her room at different times? She had started behaving the same way at other places as well. She refused to take music lesson without me holding her [STRIKE]in [/STRIKE] on my lap. She stopped doing gymnastic without me with her in the class. I thought that it could be just the stress and she wan[STRIKE]ting[/STRIKE]ed to stay home or else mig[STRIKE]ht be[/STRIKE] maybe she [STRIKE]has [/STRIKE]realized that she had to be without mama everywhere. I discussed with my husband if we could stop everything for her and she [STRIKE]can [/STRIKE] could have a break. He was not convinced with my view. I spoke to her teacher, they were not convinced too. I [STRIKE]was [/STRIKE]agreed [STRIKE]to [/STRIKE] with them as I could see how much she was enjoying every place she was going. I remember recently she was crying [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] at her dance class as it was the break for the new session.
I planned to experiment with my new strategy. I sat with her and asked her if she wanted to stop school, music, gym etc. She said yes. I made fake phone calls in front of her to school, to gym and the music class. She was all okay and started singing, “I will not go to school, how much is the fun at home….ye ye... I didn’t stop here, when I next meet her school teacher I told her in front of her that it was her last day of school. She came back from school shouting at me for [STRIKE]what I had canceled[/STRIKE] cancelling her admission [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to the school. I told her that it was not just the school but everywhere. She again shouted at me that I could not do this to her. She was very confident and angry. I was so happy inside. It was my turn to negotiate now. I asked her, " Okay, tell me what [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] you will do for me so that I should call every place to enroll you again". She replied, “Mama I will not cry while going to school, I will not make any trouble dressing up……” I was all set and wanted to see if she [STRIKE]sticks[/STRIKE] stuck to her words. It was my experience that children always fake [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] making promises but never followed. The next day, she was running out [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] from my car well ahead of me. She had stopped her tantrums for the past one week. It is a big lesson for me to underestimate the children’s psychology.

Last edited:

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
thank you so much. Could you please help me understanding the following doubts

1. She started crying while dropping off her ....
you have changed it to while I dropped her off...
2. I started peeing .....
you have changed it to I started to peep...

.please explain it to me so that I should not repeat this again. Thanks again....

Gauri

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
thank you so much. Could you please help me understanding the following doubts

1. She started crying while dropping off her ....
you have changed it to while I dropped her off...
2. I started peeing .....
you have changed it to I started to peep...

.please explain it to me so that I should not repeat this again. Thanks again....

Gauri

Hi Gauri

The past continuous tense is used to talk about past activities that last for some time in the past.

1. The action of dropping off the child lasted for a short duration so the past continuous tense is not appropriate.
Also, the subject of the sentence is not clear - the second part could mean 'your child (she) dropped herself off, instead of you dropping her.

2. I don't suppose peeping is a continuous action so I think the past continous tense is not appropriate.

I'll let the native English teachers confirm on this point of grammar.

gauri_agr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
it makes lot of sense to me :). I will dig it more.. Ton of thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.