Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I am writing an article about concrete. The decomposition of calcium carbonate is called "calcination". The verb is "to calcine".

Now, I would call the decomposed calcium carbonate "calcined" calcium carbonate. But I also find "calcinated" calcium carbonate. It seems strange to me, I can not explain the grammatical construction of this version.

Can someone tell me if "calcinated" is also correct or if only "calcined" should be used?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi and Welcome Marc :hi:,

I found this relating both verbs, so i guess it comes down to a matter of either personal preference (in this case you could use either one, or alternate them) or of minute technical differences (in this case, maybe someone with more expertise in this field than me might prove far more helpful).

charliedeut

MarcVDH

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thanks for your reply! I do find the version "to calcinate" on a number of webpages, but they all seem to come from non-English speaking countries. And the Oxford dictionary does not list "calcinate", neither in the British English nor in the US English listings.

That's why I was asking this question. If only one of both is correct, I do not want to continue confusing the other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.