Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, I woule like to know what the sentence quoted below means.

------------------
The ‘design’ step (note verb not noun) is the translation and interpretation of these data.
------------------

It seems to me that the above is a key message from the writer, and I really regret that I don't get the meaning of it.

You can read a full article below.
The Power of Design Thinking Quadro WhitePaper

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cherin

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can only assume that the writer wanted the reader to understand that he meant "design" as a verb, not as a noun in that particular context. Personally, I don't really see what difference it makes!
Writers will sometimes put (Note: XXXX) after a word or a phrase asking the reader to "take note of" whatever comes next.

For example, might write:

Capitalisation (note: BrE spelling) is very important.

I want the reader to note that "capitalisation" is the BrE spelling of the word which in AmE is "capitalization".

cherin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your kind reply.
I don't either see the difference of the meaning when it is used as a verb and as a noun.
Does the writer refer to a kind of dynamic situation not a static situation?
Thanks!

I can only assume that the writer wanted the reader to understand that he meant "design" as a verb, not as a noun in that particular context. Personally, I don't really see what difference it makes!
Writers will sometimes put (Note: XXXX) after a word or a phrase asking the reader to "take note of" whatever comes next.

For example, might write:

Capitalisation (note: BrE spelling) is very important.

I want the reader to note that "capitalisation" is the BrE spelling of the word which in AmE is "capitalization".

Status
Not open for further replies.