Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi yslron
You know the meaning of the word. Why don't you construct some sentences on your own and post them for checking. You will learn new words better that way. Spoon-feeding is discouraged in this forum.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]LIKE EXAMPLE :[/STRIKE] For example:
"Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything"

"Sans" means "without". [STRIKE]or nothing[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]pls[/STRIKE] Please help me. :lol:

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections above. There is no need to write all in capitals but you must capitalise the first word of every sentence. Don't use textspeak/chatlish - "pls" is not a word. It's "please".

Are you aware that "sans" is a French word which is sometimes used in English to mean, as you said, "without"?

As tedmc said, we don't provide sample sentences - you do.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Yslron:

As you have just read, I am not allowed to give you examples.

You can find many examples in any good print dictionary or any good online dictionary.

In my opinion, "sans" is a very good word for your reading vocabulary, but when you speak or write English, it might be a good idea NOT to use it.

Some of my books say that we should use the word "without" in ordinary speech and writing.

In fact, the word "sans" is sometimes used to be humorous (make people laugh). When you become fluent in English, then you might want to occasionally use it for its humorous effect.

Furthermore, if you use "sans" all the time, some people might think that you are being pretentious (that is to say, that you want other people to think that you know many difficult or unusual words).

Last edited:

yslron123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Sorry To All Reply Im Not An American Im a filipino Kid Who Dont Really Know Much English So I need Some Answer It For Our School TY

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What makes you think you must use a capital letter for every word?

Read ems's post #4 again.

Click here.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need some answers.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Yslron.

Since it's been about seven months since you first posted, I hope that the moderators will allow me to give you one (one!) example from a very good dictionary:

"[That restaurant serves] [f]lavorable vegetarian dishes sans meat, eggs, or milk." -- The New American Oxford Dictionary (2001).

As I stated in my post seven months ago, the dictionary labels this word (for English speakers) as "poetic/literary humorous."

In other words, it might be a good idea NOT to use it in ordinary conversation and correspondence. In fact, some people might even ask you, "What does 'sans' mean?" When people have to ask you to define your words, then that means that you have failed in your first goal: to speak or write in a way that people immediately understand.

When I turned on the TV this morning, I saw a report about a few (few!) men and women in New York City who are walking around without any clothing above their waist.

If I wanted to be "humorous" or show that I did not take that news too seriously, I would say something like: "Hey, have you heard about those people in the Big Apple who are walking down the street sans any clothing above their waist?"

"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What makes you think you must use a capital letter for every word?

Read ems's post #4 again.

Click here.

Except "Filipino," the one word that actually requires it!

Status
Not open for further replies.