Steve Harvey imitating Chris Tucker, what did he say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

On Steve Harvey's official Youtube channel there is the video entitled Jackie Chan & Steve can't understand each other. At the end of the video (at about 2:47) Steve imitates Chris Tucker. I listened to that line many times (even at half speed), but still can't make out what he's saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziS0SnA2tU

To me it sounds like "Hey man everybody I love..."

Could someone please tell me what Steve's saying?

Thank you.
[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It could be "Hey, man, everybody, everybody baby," or "baby" could be nonsense syllables.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He's intentionally garbling his words, to make it sound unintelligible. That's the whole point.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's intentionally garbling his words, to make it sound unintelligible. That's the whole point.
Exactly. To Jackie, Chris sounds like gibberish. So Steve is ad libbling some Chris gibberish. He starts with "Hey, man," but the rest is meaningless. And funny, because it really does sound like Chris.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To completely understand this, you need to be familiar with how Chris Tucker talks. Steve does a pretty good impersonation of Tucker. Partially due to his rapid speech, and partially due to his high-pitched voice, Tucker is a little hard to understand even for native speakers. Although Tucker deliberately exaggerated this in the film for comedic effect, his natural speech is pretty similar, as seen here.

I can only imagine how difficult it might have been for a non-native speaker to follow someone who speaks so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I listened to that line many times (even at half speed), but still can't make out what he's saying.

I have no clue either. We're not meant to.

Status
Not open for further replies.