Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if there is a specific rule that needs to be followed for word order in grammar or/ and sentence structure. Thanks in advance:up:

Rocky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could someone please post some helpful explanations for me.:)

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. The link provided by Corum led you to what is probably the most fundamental rule of English word order. If you did not find that helpful for a starter, perhaps you might care to be more specific in what you wish to know.

2. If you wish more people to give up their time to help you, it might also be advisable to be less dismissive of help when it is offered.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if there is a specific rule that needs to be followed for word order in grammar or/ and sentence structure. Thanks in advance:up:

There is no fundamental rule that applies generally in all circumstances.

Rocky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. The link provided by Corum led you to what is probably the most fundamental rule of English word order. If you did not find that helpful for a starter, perhaps you might care to be more specific in what you wish to know.

2. If you wish more people to give up their time to help you, it might also be advisable to be less dismissive of help when it is offered.

Relax boy! Don't eat me.:?:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina

I have two more different questions.

1. I should give up my time so as to help someone or work instead of someone.

Have I got it properly?

2. Should "so as/in order" have been used between "my time" and "to help"

Thanks

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

You don't need 'so as' or 'in order'. Just leave them out. I don't understand what your last phrase starting with 'or work...' is meant to add.

Rgds

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Hi,

You don't need 'so as' or 'in order'. Just leave them out. I don't understand what your last phrase starting with 'or work...' is meant to add.

Rgds
I asked had I got the phrase "give up my time" properly. That's all.:)o

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have three things to say, Rocky. In order of importance:

1. Your second post was very rude.

2. Your original question was much too general. Word order in English is a complicated matter. It's impossible to tell you everything about it in one thread.

3. You use commas incorrectly. The correct way is

efforts, I

The following are incorrect.

*efforts,I

*efforts ,I

Rocky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have three things to say, Rocky. In order of importance:

1. Your second post was very rude.

2. Your original question was much too general. Word order in English is a complicated matter. It's impossible to tell you everything about it in one thread.

3. You use commas incorrectly. The correct way is

efforts, I

The following are incorrect.

*efforts,I

*efforts ,I

It would be better for you to keep these things to yourself because I have not asked for your correction.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I will not do that again, rest assured.
Thanks for letting me know the phrase "rest assured" but in this case wouldn't it be better to say "for sure"?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks for letting me know the phrase "rest assured" but in this case wouldn't it be better to say "for sure"?
Hmm... "Rest assured" is often used to give confidence to somebody who is worrying about something. Rocky expressed their concern about my well-being by saying that it would be better for me to do something. I didn't think Rocky was really worried about me but I thought I would play along. That's why I used "rest assured"---I pretended to try to comfort Rocky.

Rocky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hmm... "Rest assured" is often used to give confidence to somebody who is worrying about something. Rocky expressed their concern about my well-being by saying that it would be better for me to do something. I didn't think Rocky was really worried about me but I thought I would play along. That's why I used "rest assured"---I pretended to try to comfort Rocky.

:lol:Ahhh I see, so this has become a game now? O.K then,continue playing along until you've had enough of your own game.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
:lol:Ahhh I see, so this has become a game now? O.K then,continue playing along until you've had enough of your own game.
Please try to be more polite!

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Rocky,

The people in this forum who answer questions have freely given their own time to do so.

Some are professionals, some amateurs. They (we, for I am one of them) do our best to offer fellow lovers of the English language the best advice/information we can give.

We are misguided sometimes; we are completely wrong sometimes. But, we offer our thoughts in a spirit of companionable cooperation.

If you do not like our spirit of give and take, then I would remind you that you are under no obligation to be here. If you decide to stay here, then we welcome you - so long as you do not disrespect people who are genuinely trying to assist you.

If not.... you know what you can do.

Rocky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Maybe you should explain to that freak (birdeen's call) the same thing about being polite and not getting themselves involved to cause extra trouble and argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.