Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

The junior doctor clerks them – takes their medical history and examines them.

clerk = work as a clerk, as in the legal business; service (administrative)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The user seems to be using 'clerk' to mean something like 'processes in a way that involves clerical functions'. I have never met this usage, but it doesn't surprise me. Businesses (particularly ones working towards ISO 9000 :)-? I may have the number wrong, it's a long time since I was involved in that sort of thing) tend to invent home-made verbs willy-nilly in pursuit of 'having a documented process'.)

b

Reactions: vil

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have seen it used in legal contexts, but with the preposition for.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have seen it used in legal contexts, but with the preposition for.
That certainly sounds more natural to me, though I would accept it more in a sentence such as: The junior doctor clerks for his senior colleagues = does their clerical work for them.

I don't like the use in vil's original example at all, and I would understand it in a different way from vil: takes their medical history[STRIKE] and examines them][/STRIKE].

I'd be interested to know how it is used in legal contexts.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5jj

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd be interested to know how it is used in legal contexts.

I believe that, in the context of English law at least (Scottish law is different, so I can't even say 'British') it means 'operate as a clerk for', And not just any old 'clerk' - a Barristers' clerk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . This is by no means a lowly position; just taking down somebody's name and address would be way beneath him.

b

Reactions: 5jj

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I am all mixed-up for the heterogeneous statements concerning an understated verb.

Here is an excerpt from a 100% original English book, namely “Professional English in Use Medicine/ Eric H. Glendinning, Ron Howard / Cambridge University Press.

Consultant physicians and surgeons are responsible for a specific number of patients in the hospital. Each consultant has a team of junior doctors to help care for those patients.

When patients enter – or are admitted to – hospital they are usually seen first by one of the junior doctors on the ward where they will receive treatment and care.

[FONT=&quot]The junior doctor clerks them – takes their medical history and examines them. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some time later the registrar also sees the patients, and may order investigations as tests., for example X-rays or an ECG, make a provisional diagnosis, and begin treatment. …..[/FONT]

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
[FONT=&quot]The junior doctor clerks them – takes their medical history and examines them. [/FONT]
Clerk is not used in a medical context in AmE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
All the uses that I can find on the web point to the same text, so it might be the writer's idiolect or a form that exists but is not very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.