Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
By "animal waste", do you mean "excrement like dung or pee" or "animals' dead body"? The translation goes the former, so I'm confused.

gibon98
ex)Sometimes you have to eat things you don't like, but don't complain. Just be grateful you're not a dung beetle. They eat nothing but animal waste...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
By "animal waste", do you mean "excrement like dung or pee" or "animals' dead body"? The translation goes the former, so I'm confused.

gibon98
ex)Sometimes you have to eat things you don't like, but don't complain. Just be grateful you're not a dung beetle. They eat nothing but animal waste...
It means the former: animal waste = animal faeces.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Dung" is a word for animal excrement. If you look up information on the dung beetle you will see what a delicious diet they have! ;-) Though I have to say they are incredible animals, very organised and incredibly strong. I could watch them for ages when I was in South Africa.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I thought dung is a general term both human beings and animals. Then should you use "poo" for human beings?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought dung is a general term both human beings and animals. Then should you use "poo" for human beings?

"Dung" might cover people (not literally!) but I wouldn't use it that way. "Poo" is a rather childish word for it. I would use "stools" if I were talking to my doctor, or I would use "faeces" or "excrement" elsewhere.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE it's "stool" (no S) and "feces" (no A). Dung would only be used for animal (non-human) waste, but it does mean the same thing. I don't think it's that common actually.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would use "stools" if I were talking to my doctor, or I would use "faeces" or "excrement" elsewhere.
When I was a doctor, many patients would simply call it "shit". But then, in many areas where I worked, the people did not have such a refined command of euphemism or "register". And I have to admit, I always understood immediately what they meant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In AmE it's "stool" (no S) and "feces" (no A). Dung would only be used for animal (non-human) waste, but it does mean the same thing. I don't think it's that common actually.

Can I just clarify something for my own curiosity? You would go to a doctor in the USA and say "I have found blood in my stool", not "I have found blood in my stools" - is that correct?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I just clarify something for my own curiosity? You would go to a doctor in the USA and say "I have found blood in my stool", not "I have found blood in my stools" - is that correct?

Yes, and he'd then ask you for a "stool sample."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, and he'd then ask you for a "stool sample."

That part is the same in BrE, but we definitely say "blood in my stools", presumably to literally refer to each individual, um, "sausage of poo" (suggestion from my little cousin!)

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
presumably to literally refer to each individual, um,

I'm trying to think of what I would use here... if I didn't say "each individual stool", I would probably say "each individual piece".

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

I think that the latter would be heard if it were a repeated finding.

Status
Not open for further replies.