Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone,

I have a trouble hearing the ed ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed. I cannot hear the different between regular verbs without -ed (present form) and with -ed (past form) when they are followed by the consonants.

There are two groups that I am having the problems with.

1) the group of regular verbs ending with the unvoiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -t at the end of the word

For example:
dropped my key
drop my key
asked her son
ask her son
baked them
bake them
brushed the teeth
brush the teeth
cooked the pizza
cook the pizza
picked strawberries
pick strawberries
talked to them
talk to them
dressed the uniform
dress the uniform

2. the group of regular verbs ending with the voiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -d at the end of the word

For example:
called doctors.
call doctors
explained the procedures.
explain the procedures.
delivered books.
deliver books.
played football.
play football.
advised parents
advise parents
agreed with
agree with
allowed students
allow students
answered the teacher
answer the teacher
appeared to me
appear to me
carried bags
carry bag

I asked my native speaking friend to say the sentences with -ed and without -ed, I cannot hear the difference even I have recorded his voice and listened again and again, unless he speaks in the slow speed.

He told me sometimes its hard for him too to hear the differences between those sentences, I am not sure that he just wanted to cheer me up or its the true for the native speaker to hear the difference.

However, I can hear the -ed endings if the -ed ending regular verbs stand alone or at the end of the sentences or the -ed endings + vowel sound etc., called in (call din) or dressed up (dress dup) or the regular verbs ending with d or t such as accepted the cash (accep-tid the cash) or decided to study (deci-did to study).

At the moment I am using Natualreader website to read out the sentences that I have problems with and then record them into the audio files and repeatedly listen to them again and again but still cannot hear the differences.

Please help me to overcome this problem, any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you

iboon

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone,

I have a trouble hearing the ed ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed. I cannot hear the different between regular verbs without -ed (present form) and with -ed (past form) when they are followed by the consonants.

There are two groups that I am having the problems with.

1) the group of regular verbs ending with the unvoiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -t at the end of the word

For example:
dropped my key
drop my key
asked her son
ask her son
baked them
bake them
brushed the teeth
brush the teeth
cooked the pizza
cook the pizza
picked strawberries
pick strawberries
talked to them
talk to them
dressed the uniform
dress the uniform

2. the group of regular verbs ending with the voiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -d at the end of the word

For example:
called doctors.
call doctors
explained the procedures.
explain the procedures.
delivered books.
deliver books.
played football.
play football.
advised parents
advise parents
agreed with
agree with
allowed students
allow students
answered the teacher
answer the teacher
appeared to me
appear to me
carried bags
carry bag

I asked my native speaking friend to say the sentences with -ed and without -ed, I cannot hear the difference even I have recorded his voice and listened again and again, unless he speaks in the slow speed.

He told me sometimes its hard for him too to hear the differences between those sentences, I am not sure that he just wanted to cheer me up or its the true for the native speaker to hear the difference.

However, I can hear the -ed endings if the -ed ending regular verbs stand alone or at the end of the sentences or the -ed endings + vowel sound etc., called in (call din) or dressed up (dress dup) or the regular verbs ending with d or t such as accepted the cash (accep-tid the cash) or decided to study (deci-did to study).

At the moment I am using Natualreader website to read out the sentences that I have problems with and then record them into the audio files and repeatedly listen to them again and again but still cannot hear the differences.

Please help me to overcome this problem, any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you

iboon

The consonant "d" can be difficult when speech is rapid. However, the "t' sound in the first group is usually not a problem. The "t" sound is usually audible. In the second group, the "d" sound can be less audible.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have[STRIKE] a [/STRIKE] trouble hearing the 'ed' ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed.

That's because we don't go to the trouble of articulating the final 'ed' in casual speech at normal speed when the following word begins with a consonant.

'I went into the garden and picked strawberries' sounds like ''...pick strawberries'.

We know our listener will understand from the context that 'picked' is meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.