Member Type
Other
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I was just wondering if this kind of sentence is correct. It it isn't, please do provide me with the correct one.

"Some people have recently entered my life without me ever choosing them to do so."

I am worried about the -ing form actually. Is it possible to put a sentence this way ? Is it "me choosing" or "my choosing".

Thank you in advance.
Jelena

Jaysings

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I'll put it this way.

"Some people have entered my life without me ever asking them to do so."

"Recently" refers to a length of time of the past. It means that something has happened and no longer exsits before a statement about it takes place.

By the way, I'm not a teacher.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jaysings, if you are going to answer questions here, please begin each sentence with a capital letter and end each sentence with the appropriate punctuation mark.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Jelena:

If you listen to many native speakers here in the United States (or read American literature), you will notice that many (most?) Americans might use "me."

NEVERTHELESS, many people still feel that the possessive "my" is preferable, especially in formal writing (as at the university).

Perhaps because of my age (77), I feel very uncomfortable saying, for example, something like: "Mona didn't like me criticizing her new hat."

Some people explain that she did not like the criticizing. Whose criticizing? My criticizing. (She likes me very much!)

James

Status
Not open for further replies.