Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
Any difference between the two? Is either of them preferred in BrE?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi there,
Any difference between the two? Is either of them preferred in BrE?

Thanks.
I think they are used about equally to mean the same thing. Perhaps "attic" is used a bit more in BrE, I'm not sure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think they are used about equally to mean the same thing. Perhaps "attic" is used a bit more in BrE, I'm not sure.
Had I posted before Bhaisahab I would simply have said, "No difference", but he may well be right.

I do not feel, for BrE, the difference that Gilnetter notes for AmE, though this may change. In recent years, the conversion of this storage space into a living area has become popular. My feeling is that this is more often called 'loft conversion' than 'attic conversion' in BrE.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the very helpful information. I searched through the images in Google, and, as you mentioned, it appears the loft is usually furnitured, and looks much better. Does this difference exist in BrE as well?

Thanks.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Had I posted before Bhaisahab I would simply have said, "No difference", but he may well be right.

I do not feel, for BrE, the difference that Gilnetter notes for AmE, though this may change. In recent years, the conversion of this storage space into a living area has become popular. My feeling is that this is more often called 'loft conversion' than 'attic conversion' in BrE.

Thank you dear fivejedjon! I was typing my question when you kindly answered the post. I've got my answer now! Ta! :)

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Oh, I'm not sure how English-English dictionaries say on these two words, but my English-Vietnamese dictionary uses the same Vietnamese word to say about the meaning of these two words. That means I can't learn the difference between them, oh maybe that's one reason why English is so hard to learn :) ! There are also some dictionaries say "loft" is a space between ceiling and roof ? So how is it in a multi-floor house ? It may only be at the highest floor, but in fact, we can build an attic for every floor.
All I wanna mean is there are some things in English countries can't be absolutely expressed with full meaning in other languages. (for example, I don't really know what Vietnamese words to express the two words "loft" and "attic" in different meanings. They are simply called "gác xép" in Vietnamese no matter how it's used as a living space or a storage. To express them exactly as the original meanings, I'm afraid that I've to use complete Vietnamese sentences not a word or a phrase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.