Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
"Finally, after we got our suitcases we went outside and met our relatives." I think that "Finally, after we got our suitcases" is the dependent clause and "we went outside and met our relatives" the independent clause. Correct ?

And in this sentence : "It was very confusing because no one could understand anyone" me thinks that "It was very confusing" is the independent clause and "because no one could understand anyone" the dependent clause. Correct (again) ?

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Finally, after we got our suitcases we went outside and met our relatives." I think that "Finally, after we got our suitcases" is the dependent clause and "we went outside and met our relatives" the independent clause. Correct ?

And in this sentence : "It was very confusing because no one could understand anyone" me thinks that "It was very confusing" is the independent clause and "because no one could understand anyone" the dependent clause. Correct (again) ?

I agree with you, but I am not a teacher.
:)

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
=Not a Teacher=

"Finally we went outside and (we) met our relatives."
Here we have two main (independent) clauses joined by the coordinating conjunction "and".

"after we got our suitcases" is the subordinate (dependent) clause introduced by the subordinating conjunction "after".

"It was very confusing" - main (independent)
"because no one could understand anyone" - subordinate (dependent)

Status
Not open for further replies.