Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need to know the difference between a noun and a verb. I know verbs don't tell us things, so I wonder, what are they telling us?

I think of verbs as not stating things, but the " what we do or did" etc. For most of my life I have though of verbs telling us something distinctly different from nouns(own part of speech). But when I read a definition of verbs, the defintion confuses me and they seem to say they do tell things which is really confusiung. IS my defintion above the correct way of thinking? Please help-Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes- verbs don't name things, but, basically, describe what happens to things and when:

kahhong

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear alkaspeltzar,
i had the same problem as you encounter when i learnt english.. but i had overcome the barrier, i would like to share my expirence, hope it work on you..

My english teacher (Mdm.sheila George from singapore) told me verb tells us what a person, a thing or animal does. Verb also Known as Action verb.

for an example: Alkaspeltzar runs to school.

can u spot which word is verb from the sentence? The answer is Runs. Because it describe Alkaspeltzar runs. so "runs" is a verb.

Nouns- are the things that you can talk about people, places, things or animal.

for an example: home,breakfast,pen and etc are nouns.

it does not describe a particular action.

:p
hope it will help you.. all the best..

Status
Not open for further replies.