Questions used to develop main idea (student)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishn00b

Member Type
Student or Learner
Whenever I read an article, especially sophisticated ones, I have trouble developing the main idea. Note, this is not the same thing as summarizing. I have no trouble recalling what the article says, but I do have trouble in analyzing the article further. In other words, I can't seem to get the moral of what the author is trying to say. What are questions that you ask yourself when you develop the main idea of articles or whatever you read? Please don't explain that after you ask yourself the questions that you "naturally" come up with an analysis, though I do somewhat believe that it all bogs down to practice, because it's not going to help me. If you could recall what you do exactly AND give the reasoning behind it, this will help me tremendously. Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let me ask you first, is this a challenge for you when you read in your native language, or only when you read in English?

Englishn00b

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm born as an American, I can only communicate verbally in my languages. And yes it's a challenge for me when I read English - sometimes. It really depends on the articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.